• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

lack of poos - can i have your advice please

bunny_scabbit

Warren Scout
hi, i am after some advice on lack of poos.

preston has never has this problem before, but i have noticed that he has not pooed at all today.

he is still eating and is just chilling out in his bed, he was quite lively this morning and usually chills througout the day so he is not acting abnormally.

should i be worried and seek vet advice immediately? or can buns sometimes go for a while without pooing? if so, how long before i should seek vet advice?

it's just weird not to see the huge mounds he normally leaves me

thanks in advance

When does he normally poo? Squidgy does relatively few during the day and leaves mounds at night.
They do some poos which they eat, so it may be that you haven't seen any evidence of it today.
It's a good sign if he's still eating, so I guess just monitor his behaviour and droppings. If you're worried, you could always 'phone the vet for advice. In my experience though, if bun's still eating, they tend not to want t see them.

mine tend to do a mound in the early morning and then again about 9-10 oclock at night but they usually pop one or two out during the day whilst munching on some hay. If you have not seen one single poo today that is a little odd and I'd be prepared to go to the vet first thing tomorrow if there is no poo explosion later this evening.

Make sure he has plenty of hay. If you have some, give him some probiotic in his water & a small amount of fresh pineapple is good as well for breaking up any fur balls.

I would say definately consider the vet first thing if there is still no poo, there could be a blockage somewhere so best to be safe. On the other hand he may surprise you a little later.

I had this worry yesterday Lionel didn't poo all day i gave him his veg for dinner and hoped he would after that but he still didn't so i gave him a bit of pineapple juice which seemed to do the trick there were lots after that! You could try some juice?

thanks all for your replies and thoughts.

after a brussel sprout and still no action we got preston out and about, rubbed his tummy a little and we have now had some poo action! :D

oh what a worry they are.... he has never gone so long without leaving me his litter gifts

Back