• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Anything different or not??

Hello everyone :wave:

This might be in the wrong place as i've already got a thread about my Bella so sorry if it is, I just thought new problem, new thread.

Just wondering as the winter is coming up and my Bella is now indoors ready for it. Our house has got central heating so i'm just wondering, is there an alternative bedding instead of hay I could use as we keep getting sore eyes, a runny nose as well as we keep sneezing.

Is there an alternative bedding for a Guinea Pig as well as he is now indoors ready for the winter too.

Thanks for taking your time to read about my little problem and if you reply, thanks for that too :thumb:

Diana && Bella xx

I use vet bed when mine are inside for the winter. I use profleece which I got from here. I like it 'cause it's thick and also if it gets wet the liquid goes to the bottom of the profleece and the top stays dry so the bun doesn't get wet.

You need to keep giving hay for her to eat, but just keep it to the area where she wees and poos and that way she won't have to lie on it if she doesn't want to. She will probably dig it out of the way if she doesn't like it anyway. Has she only sneezed since she has been indoors? It could be that the heating is set too high for her. Bunnies noses can sweat when they are too hot and possibly make them sneeze. I'm afraid I can't advise on guinea pig bedding though, I haven't had a guinea pig for about 10 years or so!

I use vet bed when mine are inside for the winter. I use profleece which I got from here. I like it 'cause it's thick and also if it gets wet the liquid goes to the bottom of the profleece and the top stays dry so the bun doesn't get wet.

Thanks for your reply!!! Sorry - Whats vet bed - Is it the same as profleece?
Thats a great idea but unfoutatly, Bella decides to nibble on anything she can get to so me and my mum think thats not a good idea for my Bella...
What about normal shredded paper as I have just read on the internet that it doesn't matter if she eats paper and/or cardboard?

You need to keep giving hay for her to eat, but just keep it to the area where she wees and poos and that way she won't have to lie on it if she doesn't want to. She will probably dig it out of the way if she doesn't like it anyway. Has she only sneezed since she has been indoors? It could be that the heating is set too high for her. Bunnies noses can sweat when they are too hot and possibly make them sneeze. I'm afraid I can't advise on guinea pig bedding though, I haven't had a guinea pig for about 10 years or so!

Thanks for your reply!!! I know I keep retopping Bella's hay rack so no worries there. Unfoutunatly Bella wees and poops everywhere so thats a bit hard to do i'm afraid. Yes, my mum has only starting to sneeze when Bella has came indoors. The heating isn't even on at the moment so it can't be that. I keep checking Bella's nose regularly and I can't see/feel anything about from it moving up and down non stop :lol: No worries if you can't advise anything for Smudge :thumb:

she means her mum and her as oppose to the rabbit!

Squidgy has pet blankets (like fleecy blankets) in his hutch, and a bit of vet bed. His litter trays havewooden cat litter pellets in and some carefresh on the top. This doesn't spread as far as sawdust!
For hay, he has his chopped up in his food bowls (in litter trays) as he has no incisors.
Neutering Squidgy really helped with the litter training issue. He pretty much poops everywhere still, but wees in the right place :D

Squidgy has pet blankets (like fleecy blankets) in his hutch, and a bit of vet bed. His litter trays havewooden cat litter pellets in and some carefresh on the top. This doesn't spread as far as sawdust!
For hay, he has his chopped up in his food bowls (in litter trays) as he has no incisors.
Neutering Squidgy really helped with the litter training issue. He pretty much poops everywhere still, but wees in the right place :D

Aww - Squidgy - What a adorable name!!! :lol: :lol: Are you saying when I get Bella's first injections done she won't poop everywhere?

Oh sorry I thought I made it clear but obviously not :roll: But yes I did mean my mum and me :oops:

Oh oopsies :oops: :lol: Sorry, I misread :roll: :lol: Not sure what to suggest for you and your mum sneezing! Do you both get hayfever normally? Maybe a hayfever tablet each day would help? You can ask a pharmacy for advice if you need to :)

Oh right - How does that work then??

The vaccination is the injection to help stop them catching diseases.
The spaying is where they take out the womb and ovaries (all the bits needed to make baby bunnies). Taking them out also stops the bunny making hormones for baby-making. The hormones could be making her 'mark' her territory by weeing and pooing everywhere. So spaying = no hormones = easier to litter train!

Oh oopsies :oops: :lol: Sorry, I misread :roll: :lol: Not sure what to suggest for you and your mum sneezing! Do you both get hayfever normally? Maybe a hayfever tablet each day would help? You can ask a pharmacy for advice if you need to :)

The vaccination is the injection to help stop them catching diseases.
The spaying is where they take out the womb and ovaries (all the bits needed to make baby bunnies). Taking them out also stops the bunny making hormones for baby-making. The hormones could be making her 'mark' her territory by weeing and pooing everywhere. So spaying = no hormones = easier to litter train!

Its alright - I'm sure we all sometimes misread - I know I do - I'm just glad i'm not the only one :lol: :lol: Yes we normally do get hay fever and lately we have been taking hay fever tablets daily, its just got worst with them indoors now.

So as I have made an appointment for Bella to have her first ever injection - Would that be a step into making progress? All I need to do now is actually get her out her indoor cage and handle her with confidence, and to stop getting my mum to do it all the time as I tell myself I can't do it!!! Oh right - Now I understand more - Thank you and sorry if I sounded like a pain!!! :roll:

Everything went better than expected at the vets, Bella was just a little shy, All I need to do now is gain the confidence in handling her, Do it proberbly and more often...

Our eyes and nose have seem to stop hurting as we haven't used that much hay this time. Still has the odd itch here and there but not as bad as it used to be, thanks for your replies and help everyone!

Back