• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

My Gregory needs help

Lillian

Warren Veteran
Greg went for his second major dental surgery in 2 months on wednesday, he picked up for a few days but he looks really down again :( What can we do? The vet wants to see him in 6 weeks and if his teeth have grown back again he is being put to sleep :cry:

I went to see him a minute ago and he is just laying in his hutch..he doesnt seem interested in anything
588554a7.jpg

Have you tried lots of nice things to interest him ? Have you tried baby food? Nice and mushy and easy to eat. We had two adoption rabbits have surgery, one has been through it twice and we were lucky that they bounced back to normal straight away.

My dep had her rabbits teeth removed and he didn't respond too well. She just had to keep persevering, enticing him with titbits and also syringe feeding him to make sure he was eating.

Can I ask why the vet has said that he has to be pts if his teeth grow back? Are there more underlying problems?

After the first op, how many teeth grew back? Were the vets confident that they got everything this time or not?

well.....I see a dish full of mix and not much hay, so I would suggest his diet needs changing and that will help his teeth wear down better :) Timmy hay is much coarser than meadow hay, and pet shop hay isn't even fit to eat usually, so try and find some timmy hay - I get mine from west wales willows online and my bunnies go mad for it - they have to eat it because once their 3 teaspoons of high fibre (science selective) pellets are gobbled up (takes about 10 mins :rolleyes: ) they have nothing else to eat all day till supper when they have another couple teaspoons of pellets (and just a moderate bit of veg at teatime). Because they need hay so much (they'd starve otherwise) I give them a fresh bundle in a litter tray twice a day - a ball of hay about as big as their body. This stops them getting bored too, unlike hay in a rack, and is good for them mentally and for their teeth and tummy - so even though it's expensive, I figure it balances out on vet costs I save - that's the theory anyway :?

Is he pooing?

If he has stopped eating again he needs to be seen by a Vet *today* as he may be in pain from more dental 'issues' or he may be in GI stasis (his guts have stopped working)

Why would he have to be PTS just because he may need another Dental :shock: :? :cry:

Janex

Have you tried lots of nice things to interest him ? Have you tried baby food? Nice and mushy and easy to eat. We had two adoption rabbits have surgery, one has been through it twice and we were lucky that they bounced back to normal straight away.

My dep had her rabbits teeth removed and he didn't respond too well. She just had to keep persevering, enticing him with titbits and also syringe feeding him to make sure he was eating.

Can I ask why the vet has said that he has to be pts if his teeth grow back? Are there more underlying problems?

After the first op, how many teeth grew back? Were the vets confident that they got everything this time or not?

I think she means that the spurs/incisors continued to grow as opposed to the teeth being removed and growing back from scratch.

Is it the molars or incisors which you are having problems with?

I would try addressing his diet before taking anymore drastic action. After changin my dental rabbits diet we have gone 9 months without him needign anymore treatment.

I dont really know much about it because my mum spoke to the vet. His jaw doesnt line up and his back teeth grow into his cheeks and tongue, apparently because his teeth were so bad 7 weeks after the first op the vet says that if they grow back like that again in another few weeks then he is better off being put to sleep because otherwise he will need surgery every 6 weeks and the vet thinks thats unfair on him. When they done the first op in august all his mouth was ulcerated and he was so ill, he picked up for a few weeks then was really again. The vet said that we should only feed him excel now

Please don`t have him PTS just because he may need a dental every so often, quite a few people on here have bunnies that require regular dentals & aslong as the bunny doesn`t become too stressed they can live a good quality of life.

If you try feeding him just a small amount of pellets & encourage him to eat lots of hay, ( you may have to try a few different types to see which he likes most ), the chewing action may well help his tooth problems & reduce the amount & frequency of dentals he needs.
Also regular grazing on grass can also help.

Su.x

Please do not cut hay out of his diet.....a vet at my pratice once told me this too and when I checked with the rabbit savvy vet she confimed that this was wrong information as only the action of chewing roughage can have an effect on tooth wear long term, pellet formation is just not geared up to be effective in that respect.

All the advise you have had sounds good, plenty of hay... baby food to tempt... check for pooing and I am shocked that the vet suggested PTS.... there are as Cannonwoman said, plenty of buns that get through dental problems.... How is he now?

Awww he doesn't need putting to sleep just because he needs regular dentals!:shock:

I gree with what has been said above, he would benefit from being on a pellet food rather than a mix and he needs to eat lots of hay to help wear his teeth down. Try a sample pack from www.thehayexperts.com to find one he likes.

Sending get well vibes hope he feels better soon.....

Nicola

Back