• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

fleshy lump/swelling

Carole

Warren Scout
Hi,

I wonder if anyone can help, I have a female lionhead rabbit with lots of fur!!! she is very well in herself, but I had a feeling a couple of days ago that she had a fleshy lump When held she likes to be upright, and the best way to describe this is when I stroke her down her left side it feels like a swelling on her body above her leg.

I have obviously been keeping an eye on it, because I wasnt definately sure that it was a lump as it is not that obvious, but looking at her again tonight I am sure something isnt quite right, and from past experience with my pets, I normally tend to have the right instinct. To be honest with all the fur its not visible, in fact it is more of a swelling, I have been feeling it and trying to feel if there is an actual lump, and she doesnt act like there is any sort of pain, or move away.

I have had a rabbit in the past who suffered with abcesses but this doesnt seem the same. I am going to take her to the Vet on Monday just to get it checked out, but just wondered if you very helpful people on here have any ideas what it might be.

Many thanks - Carole

Could she have caught it or bumped it on something? It could be an abcess or something.

If she's eating and drinking fine then pop her to the vets on monday. But if she becomes ill and stops eating and pooing she would need to see a vet sooner.

Hi, Thanks for the reply, I guess she could have bumped into something but there are no signs of an open wound or anything.

I am taking her to Vets Monday. Thanks for the advice about eating/pooping etc, I had that problem with her friend last year.

Carole

Is it attached or can you move it under the skin and away from the muscle/tissue?

It could well be a small cyst that may need removing or draining.

This sound like what our male has, he's had it for ages now, it's above his left front leg, it more like a dewlap, it's very soft and is just like a flabbie lump of flesh, when he run it flops around a lot, it's a large area about the size of my hand, i've mentioned it on a number of times to my vet and he said it's fine and he's one of the best rabbit vet in the country, i still worry though.

Back