• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Peanut was bleeding!!

XMissySJx

Wise Old Thumper
This morning i went to see peanut, and he always runs out to see me, and today he didnt. I got him out and he wriggled loads...normally he snuggled into my shoulder. I popped him in the run, thinking he was just being moody, and as i saw him hop off i saw his back leg was bleeding.

Ive cleaned it up, and its actually only a very small wound. but its scabbed over and isnt sceptic. Now....a week ago my mum saw a rat and last year we had a rat problem, and one bit its way into his hutch, and attacked him, it almost ripped off his tail and we had to rush him to the vets!! After that we called a rat man and he got rid of them, and this was 10 months ago, but now there back.

Im actually weaning them onto pellets atm, so its 50/50, but he always leaves the little seeds, and they were ALL gone this morning and hes NEVER eaten those. He has a hutch which has black fox proof mesh on it, but thats wide set, so a rat could easily get into his hutch.

i keep checking it, and it isnt bleeding anymore and hes gone back to binkying around the garden, so i think il keep a close eye on it before i take him to the vets.

my poor guy! everything always happens to him!!

Oh poor peanut :( Hope hes ok and doesn't get anymore bites. Is there any smaller mesh that you can put over the normal mesh to stop anything else getting in?

You can get rolls of proper cage mesh from wilkinsons for about £4 - you could staple it over the 'fox proof' mesh? I've got one of those hutches with a mouse living in it - they are definitely not rodent proof :roll:

elve - thats what we did first thing this morning!:)

i was toying with the idea of taking him to the vet, but its so tiny, and its scabbed over and he seems absolutely fine i decided against it, so as long as it stays scabbe dover he should be fine. poor peanut!! i like those hutches with the black solid mesh but i never thought of rats!!

Back