• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is this a good hutch?

ctopal

New Kit
http://cgi.ebay.com/Log-cabin-rabbit-hutch-house-with-under-run-18D-DD_W0QQitemZ220156597872QQihZ012QQcategoryZ116396QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I'm thinking of bidding on the above hutch and wanted your opinions since I don't have much of a clue. We are thinking of getting 2 medium rabbits next spring, probably tan and blacks.

I want a hutch/run set up like this. But then I want to build another hutch to go behind it back to back that's extremely insulated. I was going to cut a hole through the closed off portion in the original hutch on the back so they could get to this large insulated bedroom and it would be protected from drafts from the open part of the original hutch.

Please let me know what you think of this plan and the above hutch/run, thanks!

I don't think it's big enough for 2 buns and I wouldn't put one bun in it tbh. The hutch is only about 4 foot long which isn't really big enough for one bun, so definitely not 2. The run isn't very big either and not much of a "run", no room for binkies in there ;)

You'd be better off getting the Happy Hutch 6 foot hutch, offers much more space which means happy bunnies :)

You'd be better off getting the Happy Hutch 6 foot hutch, offers much more space which means happy bunnies :)

Fran is in the states so unlikely to be able to access the happy hutch items which are sold in this country. I would hate to think what postage is on them to get them across the atlantic.

Alot of rabbit stuff is in the UK I noticed. Are they very popular pets over there? I found the happy hutch, they've got some very interesting set ups!

I'll stay away from this one then and maybe bother you guys later about sizes and build the whole thing, I have all winter. I was just excited cause it had no reserve and no bids on it, thought I was going to get a wicked deal!

I have a feelign that Happy Hutch will sell drawings/plans to overseas folk so that may be the answer if your happy to build. Their 6fter with underun is great, my guys love it, so much that i keep finding them back in the hutch when they could be out and about. The sleeping quarters are the only downside, come winter i may well make a bigger divider to keep the warmth in better as at the moment it's a bit small and flimsy.

As I said before - given your extreme climate, you should house them in a shed, which will not only be easier to insulate, but big enough to put a cosy hutch or 2 in, fleecy dog beds etc, and a chair for you to sit on and enjoy your bunnies company when it's 10 degreesF outside :) A hutch is just not suitable. Underground where rabbits live in the wild, is a fairly constant temperature of about 40 degreesF.

Back