• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Elderly bun living with piggie U/D pics of piggies

karen354

Warren Veteran
Following on from the thread Elderly doe and 2 piggies.. If myself and Hilda were able to take the bun and piggies, would we just seperate them straight away ? This old bunny by the sounds of it loves the piggies, would the bun be okay with seperating them straight away ?

IMAG1327-1.jpg

IMAG1334.jpg

Last edited:
:wave: Aw. I know they are not meant to be together but surely if they have been together so long and its been ok and she is so old (and loves them) they could stay together??

The vet nurse at my surgery was saying the other day she has an old blind bunny she rescued that lives with a piggie.
She obviously knows they shouldn,t live together and tried to seperate them and get each one a partner.It didn,t work and they pined for each other so they are back together now and happy as ever:D

I rescued a 2 year old bunny living with a 6 year old piggie earlier this year and seperated straight away and both have been much happier and now live with one of their own species.

Either the bun or the pigs (I'd guess the pigs) are getting a poor diet because they all can't eat the same food

So I'd say seperate...

I doubt the rabbit is going to hurt the pigs at her age, and her size - assuming they have lived together all their lives? It would be just as cruel as taking away a bunny friend in my opinion, but if you feel you must seperate them, let the rabbit live next to the pigs for a couple of months, and give her a teddy as she will miss grooming them too I would imagine.

Hang on though - aren't these pigs very young at the moment? Can't remember - it is quite possible the pigs might attack her as they mature, so maybe it would be best....? :shock: :? Plus if the pigs have only been with her a few months I guess she'll get over it quicker?

I have a bunny here who is a victim of the sheffield floods! he lives with 2 guinea pigs , they have been together for 5 years , week he had teatment for a lump and was away for the day, the guineas wouldn't eat and went and hid in their bedding box!!! they licked him all over when he can back, my feeling is to leave him but if there is an older bun around you could try bonding, Bilbo is frightend of other bunnies lol we did try to introduce him 2 a female.:wave:

My vet says its ok for a rabbit to eat gerti guinea pig and veg! so no dietry problem

I'd only split them if they were fighting, or if you could partner the bun with another rabbit straight away.

Old bunnies can fade away quickly if they aren't happy.

Amy

I certainly would not feed any rabbit Gertie Guineapig food, it is only 10% fibre and a whopping 17% protein. Science Selective is 19% fibre and 14% protein, Bunny basics is 25% fibre and 14% protein.

I am afraid that any vet which suggested to me feeding Gertie to a rabbit would be not used again and alternative arrangements would be made for my rabbits.

Hmmm its a tricky one...I'd attempt seperating them and see how the rabbit reacts. Surely no matter what her age it would be better she had a friend of her own species in the long run;) ...

Mine are great hay eaters, and have a tiny amount of SS in the morning, but would it be worth changing to BB for in fibre increase even though I suspect their fibre intake is pretty good as they are grazing on grass during daylight hours?

I certainly would not feed any rabbit Gertie Guineapig food, it is only 10% fibre and a whopping 17% protein. Science Selective is 19% fibre and 14% protein, Bunny basics is 25% fibre and 14% protein.

I am afraid that any vet which suggested to me feeding Gertie to a rabbit would be not used again and alternative arrangements would be made for my rabbits.

That's what I was going to say too :?

If they are not fighting then I think I'd keep them together until the bunn could have a rabbit friend.

I haven't seen the other thread but guessing you haven't got them yet Karen? I'd suggest seeing how they are together and take it from there. If they do all seem happy together personally I'd agree with Mandy and leave them until a suitable partner can be found for the rabbit as she is old I would think being on her own wouldn't be helpful for her.

If we manage to get them I'm sure we will split them. The piggies haven't been with the bun that long as they are ony young.
We will then try and rehome them, don't think I'll have much trouble with the piggies but not sure if anyone will offer the old bunny a forever home. .

Have left a message for the lady just hoping she'll get back to me.

Last edited:
The vet i use is very good and knows what he's on about , although pellets are better we had 3 days where all the little one ate was hay and veg!!! even mixing food to change over isn't always the best course of action . they do need some food weather it be gerti or pellets!! all i was trying to say was you can feed rabbits on certain varities or piggy food , Rabbits are like humans they get rid of what vitamins etc that they don't use. Please don't critisise my treatment as i am qualified i have a 1st class degree in small animal managment!! 2005!!!
Gerti isn't the most well formulated food but it does contain everything a guinea needs and some that is un nessesary as with pelleted foods these are processed!!!all arn't as they seem !!!
I have had small animals for over 43 years and have had rabbits and other furries live longer than they normally do ,

Back