• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Mimi tilts her head to one side...

Laura416

Warren Scout
Do any of your rabbits do this? She's been doing this more recently (not *more*, actually, never really saw her doing this before). I'm concerned, b/c I lost a rabbit b/c of an ear infection (I was 10, so don't remember too many details like if he tilted his head) and I'm just so scared. Truth is, I'm not sure if it's just one side or not....I first noticed her doing this last night when she was on the floor, she looked at me w/ her head to a side - kinda cynical, I thought possibly b/c I was preventing her from scratching a door, and then just now when she was lying down, stretched out, her head was to her left.

Any info appreciated, thanks...

Thanks so much for these replies, they are so appreciated!

Turns out her regular dr. wasn't there so a newer one saw her....She said since I've had her for almost 7 months and got her at 6wks, she likely doesn't have E cuniculi (would have shown symptoms before, supposedly, and since I've had her, she hasn't been around other rabbits or out of doors). I'm very disappointed in how she reacted, compared to stuff I've read online about this, she said they don't test - she only knows of post mortems (my heart was in my throat, I swear. Tomorrow will be 4 yrs since I lost my mom and I just had all the feelings I had then again). I asked what if she has it/symptoms/time, and she said "sometimes it can be fast or longer, like a month." OMG, like a MONTH is not FAST??!?!?

One ear looked a little redder that the other and she said there's always a dr. on call, so if I notice her tilting it more often, I can call anytime and get an antibiotic or maybe it will be nothing....

I'm trying not to worry, knowing she jumped so high last night and binkies like crazy, but just knowing what my last rabbit, Thumper, went through and Mimi being my baby now...so scary.

Ok Head tilt can be a sign of
1. an inner ear infection
2. EC
3. Neurological damage

EC is passed from rabbit to rabbit through spores in the urine and feaces and from Doe to Kit via the placenta i.e. her age has nothing to do with weather she may or may not have it, she could have contracted it at birth from mum.

EC is also a 'carried' disease, around 50% of the domestic rabbit population show signs of having been in contact with the disease but far less than this actually go on to develope problems. In those that do typical signs include but are not limited to:
Head tilt
Cataracts/blindness
Urinary Incontinence
Hind leg weakness
Neurological damage
Liver & Kideny damage/failure (typicalised by excess drinking/urinating)
Chronic Bloat
and sadly eventual death in many cases

One or any combination of these symptoms may be present in a affected rabbit a carrier may show no signs at all.

There is a test which can be run on bloods to show the level of anti-bodies present against EC....taken over a few weeks vets monitor the concentration to identify if the illness is starting, subsiding or in full swing.

I am very concerned by your vets lack of knowledge in this area and urge you to get a second opinion.

You can buy Panacur wormer online and treat yourself...it will do no harm even if she hasnt got EC. However I would suggest a course of antibiotics as well incase of an inner ear infection.

Like I said, I, too, wasn't impressed w/ her diagnosis (or lack thereof). Her regular dr. will see her. I know from what I read there may not be symptoms.

I'm in Canada and when I search, it says Panacur wormer is for cats/dogs - is this what you're talking about? And this works for EC? I'm asking b/c this dr. said it's not treatable which totally did not sound right. THANK YOU so much for mentioning this! I may even ask if I can get it through them if the one for cats/dogs can be used. Please let me know.

Hold on I will find you the bunny one online....

Here you go:

http://www.wormers.co.uk/cgi-bin/sh...&PN=Rabbits___Furry_Pets.html#aPAN052#aPAN052

They can have the dog/cat liquid but this is easier to use and tastes better...liquid is only more cost effective for those with large numbers of rabbits.

Prevention is better than cure with EC but if its caught early the prognosis is good, she is a young bunny so I would worm her ASAP as a precaution.

The 9 day course is a preventative....I would worm her for the 28 day full course as she has *suspected* EC....so you will need three tubes (each one has 18 doses, one dose per 2.5kg).

Last edited:
Will keep my fingers firmly crossed that Mimi will be okay! Let us know what her usual vet says after you have taken her!!!:D

I am reading this thread with interest as Charlie has an overbalancing problem and we don't yet know if it is an ear infection or EC! So far, he is on antibiotics and pancur and ear drops - have only put one lot of ear drops in as it seemed to make him worse which may mean his eardrum is perforated so aren't going to put any more in until i see vet on Thurs. I can't tell if he has a head tilt or what as he often looks at you with a sideways face!! If he has, it's no an obvious one but so far, the anti b's haven't made any difference - I'm not sure how long this stuff takes!!

I really hope Mimi is alright and that your regular vet is around soon.

Thanks for your post, Jupiter! All my best to Charlie, he's in my thoughts & prayers.

I know exactly what you mean about not being sure if it's a problematic head tilt or just their expression ;) My fingers are crossed for both buns that it's nothing serious!!

I'm so grateful for this forum and learning about Panacur, it's on my agenda (really hating that this has to happen on a holiday weekend....).

Back