• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Doea Anyone Know What Causes Muscle Waste In Giant Rabbits

sandysan

Warren Scout
AS SOME OF YOU PROBABLY KNOW MY BELLE HAS MUSCLE WASTE IN HER BACK LEG BUT NOT SURE WHAT CAUSES IT ALTHOUGH THE VET SAID IT COULD BE NEUROLOGICAL?

Picture015.jpg

:( poor belle.......
im sorry i put it in the search engine and so far only nasty references to too small a hutch and not enough run around even as a baby can lead to problems if someone adopts bunny even later on in life.
there was one article but it was mainly cat orientated and they found a link to arthritic conditions including muscle wastage to be a type of lupus!:shock:
i hope your vet can find out soon what the treatment is for belle..i bet youre worried sick by now.

Belle

So Far Shes Had Antiinflamortary Injections The Vet Has Told Me To See How It Goes For A Month Then To Take Her Back.he Is Not Sure His Self I Dont Think. But I Shall Try Another Vet.
She Is Eating Drinking And Lots Of Hay . She Has Just Finished Panacur. But In Another Couple Of Weeks I Shall Take Her To Another Vet For A Second Opinion

SHE HAS A HUGE HUT SIZE FOR 3 GIANTS:D .AND A BIG GARDEN SO SHE HAS ENOUGH EXERCISE:wave:

:oops: i wasnt saying YOU had her imprisoned!! noooo i meant sometimes when a bun is young and having major growth spurts etc.the breeder/oner then can cause problems which rear their ugly head later in buns life.

hmm its weird isntit..theres a type of stroke cats get called a saddle thrombus apparently but that affects both legs..

i wonder if shes ever got bitten or injured herself in that leg..even a strep infection off a rose thorn would be enuff to introduce infection into the bloodstream and so to the brain? hey im trying to think too here..im stumped but thats cos im not a vet!
id say be patient ask for extra vets visits if you arent happy..even see another vet for a second opinion..sounds harsh but your enitled. if youre ets good then i aplogise..but i hope he fids out very soon what it is and how to treat it.

hey guys..would a past infection with EC be able to do this?

Hi

I'm sorry to hear about Belle she is gorgeous.

Hope this is ok to post - I found mails on the American Etherbun site regarding muscle waste due to heart failure the post says the buns doing well on meds.
Another cause mentioned was renal failure? :cry:

belle

well when she was younger she kept jumping on the settee and falling off and i think she twisted herself once?
BUT I AM FRIGHTENED INCASE IT IS RENAL OR KIDNEY DISEASE. BUT SHE IS STILL EATING ECT.

THEY CANNOT TREAT HER IF IT IS MUSCLE WASTE MY VET SAID AS SHE HAS HAD HER COURSE NOW OF ANTIINFLAMORTORY INJECTIONS.

THIS IS WHY I AM GOING TO HAVE BLOOD TEST DONE ON HER TO SEE IF DISEASE IS RULED OUT. THEN I WILL KNOW IT IS MUSCLE WASTE ....:( AND HOPE SHE GETS BETTER

Last edited:
Back