• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Really worried for my sisters rabbit

Stanley's Mom

Warren Scout
Just been to the vets with my sisters rabbit. He is 4 months old and we noticed that one of his teeth was very long. The vet checked him over and all four front teeth are over grown. He is still eating and drinking ok. The vet has suggested that we book him in to have them removed. He say's this is the best option. We have booked him in for Monday morning. He said that it is quite a big op for a rabbit as the roots are very long. We are so worried. My sister thinks the world of this little guy. Has anyone else had this done to their bunny? We will have to cut his hay up after the op so that he can still eat it. :cry:
He also said that if a bit of the root gets left in it could grow back again.

Aww good luck with the little guy.
When i was younger one of my rabbits had misaligned teeth but never had them operated on they just snipped them short every 6 weeks but i really hope he is ok

Incisor removal is the best option in severe malocclusion. Hopefully the vet will manage to get all the roots out and there will be no regrowth
There are many folk on here with incisorless Buns :)

Janex

Trimming was one of the options but he said that he would have to have them done at least every 4 weeks. He said that this would be a better option for him as it could be a permanent solution. He is going to flush his tear ducts at the same time.

Two of my bunnies have had their front teeth removed twice due to severe maloclusion. They manage absolutely fine with just their back teeth... they eat Science Selective pellets and I grate or thinly slice the veggies. Kiki is a good hay eater in comparison and both of them eat grass. Trimming is no longer considered a safe option for bunnies.

Good luck

While we were at the vets a guy came in with a 5 year old lop eared rabbit. It looked really sad so I asked him what was wrong. He said that it had fly strike. I've never heard of this. Bluebottles were flying out of the carrier. It had maggots all over it's back end. The vet put the rabbit to sleep. It was very upsetting. :cry: Surely this meant that he hadn't cleaned this bunny for ages.

My Binky had severe malocclusion, and had all of his incisors removed. You would never know it to watch him eat......he eats EVERYTHING that he ate before he had them out!!!:D

Well tomorrow's the big day. We have to have him at the vets by 930 in the morning. I really hope everything will go ok. He's only a tiny bunny. :cry:

Stanleys Mom Sister

SENDING GOOD VIBES
Picture027.jpg

Picture026.jpg

Picture042.jpg

Picture041.jpg

Picture038.jpg

Picture036.jpg

Picture022.jpg

Picture028.jpg

Picture030.jpg

Well he's just got home. Looks tired but he ate a raisin. The vet said it went well but won't be able to tell if he got all the roots. Only time will tell. I hope he eats some more tonight. :D

Poor little man - fancy waking up with no teeth!!!
Hope he starts eating for you soon.
Lou has a number of bunnies at the sanctuary that have no front teeth and they cope fine:D

Back