• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Extra special healing vibes for Kitt please

loobie_lou

Mama Doe
Hey all,

It's been a while since I've updated you on Kitt's progress... he had a nasty wound on his right side which could have possibly been caused by my other rabbit, Jamie. Well, he was being treated for this when I took him back to the vets on Tuesday - where I was informed that Kitt has developed a few abcesses since this wound was treated :( Kind of goes to show how useless Baytril is!!

The vets main concern was an abcess which had developed underneath where he was operated in!! She had to remove part of his muscle which hasn't affected him in the slightest but she's concerned that she hasn't been able to clean the whole bacteria out of the abcess owing to how deep it could have gone :cry:

I'm taking him back today in the hope that these abcesses will not be showing signs of resurfacing. The ones which were removed, and visable, have definately not come back... it's the one underneath his wound which I'm worried about.

At only 5 1/2 months old and having had 5 operations to date, under anasthetic, I don't think It'd be humane to put him through another operation :(

oh no poor Kitt, sending extra extra healing vibes.

Earlier this year my Smudge got bit and had a GA to debride the wound and suture it and then it got an abcess and she had another GA to clear it out. Thankfully that's all it took, and she's had no problems since.

Good Luck Kitt, hope everythings OK!!

Nicola

Awww poor boy :( Don't give up till you've had a swab tested for bacteria - that's what I did with Maa's abscess and the lab identified a very tough type which baytril wouldn't even touch - and recommended which antibiotic to use. the test took about a week and cost £30 but it meant she was better in a week using the right antibiotic. Or you could just miss out the test and try the antibiotic Maa was on - metronidazole - half a tablet a day ground up into a few mushed up pellets and pineapple juice. Metronidazole targets bacteria within the body cavity. You do really need to clean all the pus out too though ideally - I got my vet to do it without anaesthetic as I couldn't afford another operation on her eye socket and another vet at the practice said to have her PTS. Nearly 2yrs on and she's fine, so it's worth a try - hope he's going to be OK :(

Thank you all :)

It seems that, for now, he's on the road to recovery. The vet had a thorough feel of him and couldn't feel any further abcesses, nor could she detect any on his wound.

Obviously I know he could get worse again, so please keep the vibes coming.. they really help xx

Back