• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

coccidila

kellycartmel

Warren Scout
Anyone with any experience of coccidila?

Our rabbit thumper died last week, he was very ill back in August and it was put down to pneumonia and dehydration (we don't know why he wasn't drinking), he seemed to be getting better (still very thin) and then died suddenly.

Another of our rabbits, Lucky is now starting to lose weight, he had bloods taken on Friday which show low blood protein, raised white cell activity and anemia. They've sent the bloods for liver function testing now and I took in a poo sample yesterday for them to test for coccidila.

I'm hoping someone here knows that its treatable and that i'm not going to have the rest of the bunnies dropping off 1 by 1?

thanks, Kelly

Thumpers only real symptoms were loss of hair (although we blamed cassie for that at first), severe and sudden weight loss and the dehydration which in turn left him unable to hop/walk.

Lucky so far is just losing weight.

I think the 2nd blood tests are due back today so hopefully we'll have a bit more of an idea.

Thumpers only real symptoms were loss of hair (although we blamed cassie for that at first), severe and sudden weight loss and the dehydration which in turn left him unable to hop/walk.

Lucky so far is just losing weight.

I think the 2nd blood tests are due back today so hopefully we'll have a bit more of an idea.

Did Thumper's symptoms come on some time *after* a VHD Vaccination?

Janex

We now have a positive result for a significant quantity of coccidia eggs in Lucky's faeces. The lab are going to confirm if it is the variation that attack the liver (all the symptoms and blood results point this way) and then we're on with treating the whole gang.

She also said that it is more than likely that this is why Thumper died.

We now have a positive result for a significant quantity of coccidia eggs in Lucky's faeces. The lab are going to confirm if it is the variation that attack the liver (all the symptoms and blood results point this way) and then we're on with treating the whole gang.

Oh dear :cry:
I hope that the other Rabbits will respond well to treatment.

Janex

i have everything crossed, i am dreading the thought of losing all of them, thankfully (if that's the right word) Lucky is the only one displaying any symptoms just now

sorry hear about poor Thumper and hope others be ok..

Just being nosey as never heard of coccidiosis until i read all this thread..

does rabbits get "cured" of this? or are they going to be carrier for life??

I need to know something for background knowledge because of rabbit boarding!! I got a form that they have to fill in when they want to book their bunnies in for boarding, i ask them to write their medical history. i want the knowledge of what is serious condition that i might have to refuse the bookings. i already turn away few bookings because they not up to date with the vaccination!! (sad really but have to think of other guests!)

Last edited:
All rabbits carry some level of coccidia in their guts but a healthy adults immune system can keep it under control.

Coccidia is particularly common in young and weaning babies and sick adults as a secondary condition.

So, in answer to your question, nearly all rabbits are carriers but its very rarely an issue.

Cocciostats such as Coxoid can be used in water and some feeds come with a built in cocciostat BUT you can wipe out an adults immunity using these regularly and potentially set yourself up for more problems in the long term as they will not be able to deal with a small infection as they should be able to.

Good that you have a definite answer and that they can be treated. Please keep us posted.

so to make it clear..
If they are treated and clear by the vet they are safe to come to boarding with me??

I am just being a dumbo!

We were advised by our vet that there should be a two week quarantine period after completing treatment.

we're currently on the 2nd week of treatment (7 days on, 5 days off, 7 on), they're all having coxi plus in their water and all hutches and runs and toys and bowls and bottles were bleached/steralised at the beginning of treatment and we do the entire process again at the end of treatment by which time we should be clear.

Lucky (the only bun showing symptoms) is definitely putting on weight now which is fantastic. The vet said the weather we've had this summer has been perfect for the parasite to thrive, as Sooz said normally it wouldn't be a problem but apparently the warm and wet conditions this summer (here anyway) meant that the shared grazing areas possibly contributed to it.

They've only excercised on concrete since commencing treatment and I can't see them getting down on grass for a long while now because its very very wet here.

Lucky will be monitored for a while yet just to make sure his liver is beginning to recover.

so to make it clear..
If they are treated and clear by the vet they are safe to come to boarding with me??

I am just being a dumbo!

they'd be safe but i'd make the extra precaution of ensuring that any shared excercise area was well and truely cleared of poo before letting other rabbits out on it - a concrete area would probably work best.

from what i've read (and what the vets have said) the only way of passing it on is to eat highly contaminated poo, its not airborne or anything like that

Back