• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

compost

kellycartmel

Warren Scout
does anyone here compost the stuff out their hutches?

I'm getting fed up black bagging it and making the trip to the tip and I figured getting a compost bin and mulching it would be better?

Can anyone recommend a bin?

:wave: I have been thinking about composting too! I did read if you have a wormery you can feed them rabbit droppings/wooden litter. I guess you can compost it as rabbit poo is just plant based?

i investigated my local council website and got a special offer on a 320l bin for £8 with free delivery and a free indoor waste caddy!

I compost mine in th ebin i got cheap from leeds council :D

The trick to good compost is you need an even mix of "green" materials - wet things like old veg n grass clipping - and "brown" - dry stuff like straw and a bit of scrunched up newspaper. so having some rabbit debris in is very handy.

If you go on the recycle now website they will tell you if you can get cheap or free compost bins in your area.
Mine cost me a tenner from severn trent.
Just started using it because I was getting annoyed at throwing away all this recyclable material. Don't think it will be long before its full up though!:oops:

I started by composting all the rubbish from the hutch but it takes so long to rot down that my compost bin was full within a month. :rolleyes: We have a garden waste bin which the council collects to compost but you can't put pet bedding in there. :cry: Again at the tip, it has to go in with all the other non recycling waste which is such a shame. :rolleyes: Not sure what the answer is!

That's just reminded me. I've been meaning to get a compost bin from the council for ages. With 8 buns and 7 piggies it makes a lot of waste!!!

I've just ordered a 330l bin for £9 inc delivery.:D

Nicola

We have 2 weelie bins, one for normal rubbish and one for garden rubbish and it clearly states on the latter that animal bedding can be put in it, so it all goes into there and gets emptied every other week!

Oh the other had dad has a compost "heap" (nothing as posh as a bin) for the grass cuttings and has to shred the other garden rubbish (we have rather many trees) and take that to the dump :oops: (never any room in the bin)

I compost megazorb and the hay. Every now and again i give the compost bin a mix and pour in a watering can of water. And I'll tell you what it does not half compost down quick:shock:

I just emailed the council about ours as I too would love to recycle it but we don't have space for a compost bin of our own. Our garden waste too gets collected fortnightly although they want to plan on charging us for the pleasure :roll:

from the link i followed on the local council site there is stuff you can buy to help it compost quicker so i'll give that a try if we're filling up quickly :lol:

Back