• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbits are driving me mad!!

Hello there,:wave:

I'm new to the forum. I have 5 rabbits, Barney and Bubbles who are cheeky but good as gold, Shy boy, says it all with his name! and Tippex and Bambam.

I'm having major problems with Tippex and Bambam:roll: No matter what I give them to play with, how often i feed them or how much hay they have they keep chewing there hutch. Overnight they have chewed a hole in the side of there hutch and this morning at 6.30 we were running round trying to catch the little :censored::censored: :censored: . I thought I'd lost Bambam until i saw his nose poking out of my neighbours hedge!!:lol: This is the third time they have done it and I'm running out of bits of wood to patch it up :lol: I'm getting slightly annoyed with them now!! But how can i stop them doing it!!

Any clues???

Lisa and the bunsters (2 of which are currently in detention!!:lol: :lol: )

:wave: hi welcome to the forum :D

not sure if it would work but i have seen pics on here of sheds with wire mesh on the walls to stop chewers might be worth a try

have you tried giving them apple/pear/willow/hazel braches to chew? mine adore apple branches and it keeps hem occupied for ages :D

how big is their hutch do they have access to a run overnight?

erm running out of suggestions

hopefully someone with chewy outdoor buns will be along to help :D ( mine are both indoor so all i have had to contend with is nibbled cables and duvet covers!)

I think the wire mesh option is a good one, I've had the buns in the new hutch for just over a fortnight and Charlie has taken large chunks out of it already despite having baskets, mats, vine balls and other things to chew. I'll be popping out to get some this weekend.

Hi thanks for suggestions,

I hadn't thought of putting mesh inside!!
They have a wood arch, and plastic bell ball, a willow ball, willow sticks, willow ring and a rope ball to play with (not all at once, i change them every few days), they have a good pile of hay every day with there dinner, so there not short of things to chew on!! they have apple branch very rarely (when my dad trims, and only when my dad trims, I'm not aloud near his precious fruit trees!!!)

They go out in a run during the day but i prefer them shut in at night, they have plastic over there hutches and I want them to stay warm and dry :roll: :roll:

Lisa

Mine have had willow balls but they didn't like them as much as the vine balls that I bought from the hayexperts, I also bought them a seagrass basket that I put brome hay and that vitaverde apple stuff in and thats a big hit. Charlie is a big chewer so I understand your frustration, its the reason why he couldn't be a house rabbit.

awww they are just little tinkers then :lol: have you tried putting the willow in and saying 'now you be good bunnies and chew your hutch now dont go anywhere near these precious willow sticks!!!' :lol: :lol: :lol: :oops: i know it would make my buns destroy the sticks in a second :lol:

cant say i blame you about keeping them in though (hence why i have house rabbits ;) ) although it was just an idea as i know quite a few people allow their buns access to the run 24 hours a day

hope you get it sorted soon :)

I bought an anti chew spray from P@H which works a treat. It says it is for fabrics but I have sprayed it on the hutch and they haven't chewed the corners since. :) It is the only one which mentions being safe for rabbits on the label.

Yeah thats a good plan also thanx!! Ordered a new side panel for the hutch so hopefully will get that on then soak the entire hutch horrible tasting stuff and they will never chew their hutch ever again.................................................

yeah right :lol: !!!!!

Lisa

You could try vinegar, I bought that chew stopper spray but it didn't stop Charlie for long even though I resprayed it :lol: :roll: The only thing that stopped him was perfume, I know its not ideal but one taste and that was it, the dining chairs were safe, its not cheap though so I only did it once.

Back