• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

New Rescue Bun Not Eating A Lot

p_prod_uk

Mama Doe
I piced up my new rescue bun last week and he didn't eat much for the first few days, which i put down to him being stressed/timid from the move.

He'd only ever eaten the muesli food so i've bought him loads of different varieties and he won't eat much of any of them. He only nibbles at veg and doesn't seem to be eating much hay.

He somehow manages to wee and poo ok though so am a bit confused! :roll:

I had him at the vets for his VHD jab on Monday and asked them to double check his teeth (had asked them the prev week when i got him 'MOT'd) and the vet said they are definately fine.

I had him out in the run all day while i was at work and O/H said he didn't seem to be moving about much, just sitting still.

His tummy feels fine and i mentioned it to the vet but she said it's prob just settling problems.

Any advice from anyone and should i be starting to get really worried??
ps; have also tried him on SS and Excel Lite but won't touch either of them.

Maybe he's just not a big eater, it just doesn't seem enough to me.

Thanks for any advice :D

Am no expert and am sure someone will be along soon but from my personal experience with Charlie - it took him about 3 weeks to settle down fully to his normal pattern after being disturbed. I'd be happy about the normal pooing and weeing and even with Charlie's favourite foods, he wasn't particularly enthusiastic for the first three weeks. Stick with it, it will work out OK!

I cant think of anything to suggest other than to keep an eye on him and monitor his stools incase they start to appear abnormal.

hmm i know - neighbours must think i'm nuts, counting poos!

Sooz - slightly off topic, but am really worried about re-bonding angel and boo. I know you're ill and very busy so don't worry, i won't ask you - but do you know anywhere i could take them for someone else to do it?

Also, they've both been all over the house etc, so nowwhere is neutral for them :?

I would have said to ask Louise but she has given up now.

Maybe Angie at BARC or Jill at Honeybunnies would for a donation, else can wait til I feel better.

I would have said to ask Louise but she has given up now.

Maybe Angie at BARC or Jill at Honeybunnies would for a donation, else can wait til I feel better.

thanks for offer, but i think you've got enough on your plate!!

thanks for suggestions

My nethie dwarf is the same. I have had him 6 weeks now and he hardly eats a thing compared to my others. Even hay he does not eat much. He still poops and wees although his poops are little. He is happy in himself. just wish he would eat a bit more even veg he he does not eat.

Maybe it was the VHD jab? Evo still isn't eating 100% after his on Monday.

oh right - maybe then. He seemed to tuck into his veg this morning as soon as i put it down for him which was a better sign.

I prob just over reacted and panicked when i posted this thread - im just a bit protective of my buns! :roll: :D

and like humans a body can have different requerments for food.
My french lop when he came here was 4.8 kilo about 1,5 kilo underweight
Now a couple of weeks later on what is my opinion eating not a enaugh he weighs 5.43 kilo.
I tought i had done something rong, but the scales woren't lying he ganed weight on what in my experience is the minimum he should eat

Back