• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

my new french lop

starlover

New Kit
Hi, just looking for a bit of advice. Sorry if it's been asked lately but my laptop connection has failed.
I've just bought a male french lop who approx 15 weeks old and am wondering the best things to feed him to help him reach his maximum size. So far he is on junior dwarf nuggets, hay and forage. Anything else i can give him?
Thanks

He is old enough for you to start weaning him onto fresh vegetables too.....just a little each day of different types....only feed one type each day until you have worked out if there is anything that upsets his tummy.

My 7 month old french lop is on Science Selective and fresh hay everyday, and spring greens and other veg twice a week.

He was vey small when he was younger and since being on SS he has grown a lovely thick coat and definitely seems brighter and fitter than when he was on excel.

Oh, and his poops are much firmer and bigger! :lol:

when i got our wilow...she was already on allen and page breeders and gowers pellets and a carot nub in the faternoon..with a broccoli floret..then tea time was pellets with yet more hay. she was having her hay first thing whilst she was hungry. And midmorning jo always gives them half a weetabix or half a slice of crunchy wholmeal toast..or a ryvita!
the odd treat is a piece of apple or banana...shes not too keen on ak chi but adores the bagged organic salad of spinach rocket and watercress!

petra our vet said to keep her on the breedersand gwoers till shes 18 months old and her skull is fully grown.

Jo also said to me not to let her run too wild for her first month here..so she wasnt allowed to rn riot! she does now tho..she was out for over 8 hrs today:shock: which meant penneing bif n bertie in..which they didnt complain about as they were having a very tired bunny day:lol:

keep the diet healthy..no shop treats..theyre full of seeds and sugar!! also dont give dried corn on the cobs you see in pet stores either or biscuity treats. i think the toast or wetabix is healthier than that!
your frenchie will be a whirlwind till about 12 months old.willow wears us out! but berties always slept or lounged around most of his time bless him.

dont let your bun jump up on things if you can help it..one bigger bunnies fall harder but being such hefty buns they shouldnt wear their joints out before theyve fully matured..willows been told no but those stairs are much fun! and the big plastic storage boxes..and the chair in the kitchen onto the worktop.oh yes she did!! she followed the cats!!:shock:
willows 10 months old now and stilla holy terror like a naughty puppy! shes now 6kg in wieght and seems to be still growing to the shock of us and the vets!
good fod lots of hay..veg in moderation and fruit as a treat...the weetabix etc helps the bulking up..but when i switched bertie from allen and page to ss he had the same amount to eat but went from 5kg to 7 kg!! now hes been back on the alen and page for 2 sacks or so.hes back down to 5.5kg..whearas willows at 5.75kg:shock:
enjoy the cute out of proportion phase..they do grow into those ears eventually..willow nealry has..but her feet are still huge and not part of her she thinks..lol bigfoot!:lol:

Thanks to everyone who replied. I will try and wean Hermes on to Science Selective as soon as i can.
I know everyone agrees about lots of hay but what about Forage? I know it's full of calcium but if i feed too much will he get a sludgy bladder? I know this can happen as it happened to my german lop x

Back