• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Monty is out of the wood

Happy Hopping

Wise Old Thumper
So, here's a short version of the story:

Last Thursday, when I pick up Monty at the SPCA, the idiot vet use glue to glue his ball together instead of using stitches. My other bunny, Goofball has experiment with glue before with my vet, we try 2 different brand in 2 different occasions, they don't hold, they only stick for 6 - 9 hr., and then they fall apart.

In the case of Monty, same thing happened, his surgery was completed around noon, I picked him up around 6 pm, we got home around 6:30 pm or so. By 6:45 pm, there is dropping of blood, and as it go on for another minute, there is much more blood coming out.

So I went to the emergency vet, and they were trying to rescue Monty. They determined about 20% to 25% of the blood is out of his body. The towel that I put in my car for Monty to sit on is soaked with blood, and even days later, it is still damp. There were blood everywhere, and for that matter, I've never seen that much blood in my life.

When they said I can go, while I was walking towards my car, there's a nurse to grab me back to the emergency room and said Monty's situation has gone worse. So I rush back in, and they said he's gasping for air, and that he's dying. Then come the oxygen chamber, and those nurse was putting pressure at that spot for about 45 minutes.

As I was watching thru those 45 minutes, there were time that I thought he can't make it as he was breathing heavily all of a sudden. By 9 pm, they said it looks like he is doing better as he is moving around.

Since the visiting hour is over, I went home, call them at 10 pm to follow up on Monty's status, and the nurse said it's the same as I left 1 hr. ago.

By 11:30 pm, the doctor called me, and said he is 70% out of the wood, and that he is eating hay already. They discharge Monty the next day (Friday) by 5 pm, and the other vet that I talked to on Friday said that this is a miracle.

To be truthful, this is the very first time I encounter a miracle on my bunny. Due to the amount of blood loss, I didn't think he's make it. And I was thinking to myself, that this would be the shortest bunny ever live in my house. In fact, when my washing machine wash those blood soaked towel the other day, after they came out of the machine, there is still blood spots remain on the towels.

Because I'm concern the other bunnies may touch his stitches, Monty is living in a room all by himself. And his diet is quite good, not as much bunny poos as my other bunny, Minnie, eventhough the 2 rabbits weighs about the same, but still, a reasonable amount of bunny poos. He is on anti-biotics for 10 days.

There wasn't much bunny poos on day 1 to 2, but after that, his diet is quite steady. A big bundle of hay on the dish that I gave him on Friday, is mostly gone as of today, so in 5 days, he ate a big bundle of hay.

I really like Monty, he has a very good personality. Monty is an abandoned rabbit living in another small town a few months ago. Someone found him living in the wild and dropped him off to SPCA in my city. His previous owner is not nice to him, as Monty used to jump a bit when someone touches him. But I no longer see that reaction since he moves in my house.

I hope his wound will heal fast, so he can get off the cone, as the cone bothers him to a limit extent on drinking water.

Last edited:
:wave: That is great news! Is so nice to have a happy ending like that when it all looked so bad! Hope Monty is 100% soon and binkying with his bunny friends.:D

That is really good news! Bunnies do bleed a lot though, when Evo bit a callous on his foot, there was soooo much blood and it was really bright red too!

a similair thing happened to Isaac - I know how scaryy it is:shock: :( but I am glad he's doing better! Isaac was on anitibiotics for 28 days.
Hope you can give montys to him easily :)

Back