• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Houdini Refuses to be potty trained

dacheatmeh

New Kit
I got my French Angora a litter box. Its supposed to be the right size for this particular rabbit. I do just like the book says and move the box to where he's been pooping, but whenever I do he just poops in another place. I've never had this problem with a rabbit before, does anyone have any ideas?

You could put his poop in the box, that also helps. Charlie's really hard to litter train, he poops right in the corner by the hutch door, so i can't put the tray there and if i do, he just moves it!

Is he neutered? Neutering helps to prevent territorial pooing. How old is he? As said, keep putting the poos in the tray and hopefully he will get it soon. My two are neutered/spayed and sometimes are litter trained and sometimes not! They usually wee in the tray, but their poos can get spread around a bit :lol: It can also help to just use bedding in the tray so that they don't associate the bedding with the toilet and so just 'go' anywhere. Try putting his hay in the tray and a hayrack next to or hanging over the tray, they like to eat while they poo :roll: :lol:

well i've been putting his poop in the tray, no he's not neutered, he's only 10 weeks old. Do you think I should have him neutered this early?

Yeah, I named him houdini because he keeps escaping from his hutch, i think he knows how to work the latch or something!

Buster only ever went in the corners so I let him pick one then put toys and stuff in the other corners. He soon got the point. Although his missies goes where she likes:roll:

Lol i had a hamster called houdini who could escape from anything!
Lionel litter trained straight away he's brillaint we have the occasional dry poo elsewhere but other than that he won't do it anywhere else :)
Good luck

He might just not be too good at it because hes a baby. 10 weeks is too young for neutering, the testicles have to have descended first, which happens around 4-5 months old. Bailey didn't seem to get it for ages, then he suddenly seemed to realise what he was supposed to do. Stick at it, hopefully he will get it in time :)

Kuhluha is having a hard time as well :cry:
I just have a question...with puppies you pick them up when they go and put them outside...You don't pick up bunnies and pop them in their litter box do you? I hope not, I haven't done this:?

Well, that's what we did! If he pooped where he shouldn't, we picked him up and put him in his tray. Or if it was too late, we showed him that we were picking up the poo and putting it in his tray. He is only little, I'm sure he will get there eventually!! Good luck!

So I shouldn't smack him around if he poops on the floor then, eh?

No, don't smack him, he won't understand it and you will just make him wary of you and might hurt him. Reinforce good behaviour though, so if he goes in the tray, give him a little healthy treat. He probably won't ever do every single poo in the tray, he might kick a few out by accident or do them next to it on occasion.

Back