• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Winter exercise

redfrock

New Kit
Our rabbits have 10ft x 8ft permanent runs. The welded mesh is dug into the ground and the outside has wide concrete slabs around it to keep predators out. Their hutches have a small ramp where part of the door would be so that they have permanent access to the run. The hutches are sturdy and fantastic (6ft x 2ft). The run is also 6ft tall so that we can go in and out easily. My husband built everything so I know they are good quality and solid.

The rabbits have 24 7 access to the run as they are more active at night. They are obviously not feeling the cold at the moment as they keep fishing the hay out of bedroom area and into the main cage area.

This will be my first winter with rabbits in a long time. I want them to be able to continue to have permanent access to the run as they obviously love it, given the little time they spend in their hutches.

My main concern is the wet and the mud. Bibs was outside today when it was raining. I picked her up and put her back in her hutch with some greens but no sooner had I turned round she was back in the run. We have clay soil and the wet is really starting to take its toll.

Are they going to be ok like this, now the weather has turned, with the freedom to come and go, or should I consider confining them to their cages in this weather, which I am loath to do?

Last edited:
I let mine come and go as they please regardless of the weather. As long as they can get in out of the cold winds(if they want to!!!:lol: ) they'll be fine. The only time I would restrict them is if they are poorly.

I hate the winter months as we are on clay here and the garden get's waterlogged and floods if we have too much rain too quickly::( Mine don't have 24/7 run access as I have a sparate run, so in the winter when it's dry they are out, if it's perpetual rain, they end up having a sprint around in doors, but inevitably they do end up with less run time than in the summer when the days are much longer and generally drier ( this year not withstanding :shock: )

Your setup sounds great and I'd continue to do the same and let them decide. They have a warm bolt hole if they want.

Back