• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Gaint Rabbit Belle: My Update On Her

sandysan

Warren Scout
Hi There

At The Moment Belle Is On Day 5 Of Taking Panacur. Dont Know If It Is Doing Anything. She Is Eating Fine And Lots Of Hay And Grass. I Cant Understand Why The Weight Loss Or Boney On Her Spine And Legs.......but The Vet Gave Her Some Antiinflamortary Injections He Thought She Had Muscle Waste........ But Im Scared Incase It Is Cancer Or Something I May Be Just To Worried On What I Read .... But After The Panacur I Will Take Her For A Blood Test To Ease My Mind Too.....at The Moment She Is Being Very Spoilt In The Kitchen On A Old Qiult With My Other Little Rex Rabbit Who Loves Her Also. Just So I Can Monitor What She Eats Ect......... Hope She Dont Get In The Habbit

( CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHAT CAUSES MUSCLE WASTE?)

Love Belle

Last edited:
Hi Sandy

Loss of weight can be caused by a variety of problems but I am a tad confused with this as you told me in a pm that she weighs 1 stone and half:? Your giant bun is still only a baby at the age of 1 and this doesn't seem under weight to me when she still has alot of growing to do yet :? :?

This chart is a rough guide to weights as it is by burgess excell but hopefully will help you;)

http://www.vetstreamlapis.co.uk/htmlroot/Tables/burg.htm

The most common problem that causes muscle wastage in rabbits are those that have been confined for long periods in inadequate hutch sizes. Your Belle is in the kitchen at the moment so I take it she normally lives outside, what is her accomodation and run size and how much exercise does she get?

belle

hi denny

she was over 1 half stone and she lost a few lbs. i know she is still a babe but i dont know what the full weight of a continental giant is at adult age they say she will stop growing at 18 months......she may sound heavy and big but she has lost some pounds and i can feel her bones on her back .

also she has a very big long hutch big enuff for three giants:D . she has a massive garden she has the run of. so she is getting enuff excersise. and her hutch is ideal for her.

she is always out and about in the day i dont beleive in rabbits being penned up allday she needs her excersise :D

but thanks for the message denny
how many bunnies do you have ?

ohhhhhhh i also have a little solid rex rabbit who loves her and they bond real well :D :wave:

Back