• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Question about vets.

isla

Mama Doe
I was at the vets on saturday and I'm really not happy with what went on. The first bad thing was we were waiting in the waiting room for an hour and a half, and there were 4 yappy dogs, so my bunnies were stressed.
When it was finally our turn I explained what I wanted done- Myxi jabs, Nunzeo's teeth checked, Abbey's claws cliped, both weighed and a health check. So out comes Nunzeo, the vet checks his teeth, feels his tummy, listens to his heart and lungs jabs him puts him back.

She didn't check his eyes, ears, nose, bum, or weight. I really dont think she did the myxi jab properly either.
When it was Abbey's turn, the vet checked the tum, heart and lungs, weight and clipped her claws, again no ears, eyes, or bum. The vet said Abbey was overweight, and I didn't actually see the vet inject Abbey at all (and I was holding Abbey the whole time). And the vet said I should cut down on vet rather then dry food!

Does any of this actually sound like I should get a different vet, or am I just being too picky?

Doesn't sound too promising, to be honest. :shock: I think go with your gut instinct on this one - it would be awful trying to get some good care in an emergency out of this vet if they are no good.

Have you tried this: http://www.rcvs.org.uk/Templates/system/FAVSearch.asp?NodeID=89660?

If you're unhappy with what went on, you should ask to see a different veet or change practices.

I must admit, my lot always get a proper health check all over when they go for vaccinations, which I like.

With regards to waiting times. I try to get the earliest appointment available on Saturday's, that way you don't have a long wait (usually). If not, tell them you're there and tell them you will wait in the car park, I've done this and they just call you fromt he door (I stand outside the car, in the cold).

I've got to ask...who do you use??

The Grove in southsea, do you know it? Or do you know of a vet that is actually good?

I'm really upset about it all. And Abbey isn't overweight! I dont think so anyway!

Doesn't sound good to me either. Would definitely research another vet. People on here who live near to you might be able to offer some advice. x

And the vet said I should cut down on vet rather then dry food!

What's the typo?

A vet should be a complete check of a rabbit before vaccinating as the vacc won't work and shouldn't be given if the rabbit is ill.

You need to trust your vet so if you don't like them switch. You can see a different vet at the same practice :)

:wave: I would try and find another vets. Even if you got another vet in the same practice if you had an emergency you might end up with this one again so is prob best to find somewhere totally different.

What's the typo?

A vet should be a complete check of a rabbit before vaccinating as the vacc won't work and shouldn't be given if the rabbit is ill.

You need to trust your vet so if you don't like them switch. You can see a different vet at the same practice :)

Ooops the typo was veg! They don't get too much veg really, and hardly any fatty veg. Surely you'd cut down on SS or the Excel rathen then veg?

I use Companion Care in Portsmouth, its inside the Pets at Home just off Eastern Road. Theres one vet in particular there who I like, another who is good too and another I don't like that much. I don't want to put names on here though incase that isn't allowed :) Although I don't know the name of the one I didn't really like. They are an RCVS vets too. Bailey was neutered there and was treated for stasis too and the vet I had was very knowledgeable. They also explained tooth spurs to me (twice on separate occasions!).
I would have thought for overweight bunnies you would cut down on pellets too, surely they are more fattening than veg? :?

ETA: If you want to know the name of the vet I ask for when I go there then PM me and I will tell you :)

Back