• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Xenex Ultra or Xeno 450?

I'm not sure, but I think I remember a thread on here about a bunny having a fatal reaction to the Xeno? I'm not sure what they difference between those two is :?

i had one of those from my vets for Simba's constant repeat problem of mites.. i dont have the box now though and i cant remember which it was.. but it was prescribed by the vet;) I had to phone the vets the following week to let him know how it was going as he was concerned about any reaction to the drops but luckily Simba was fine with it

Unfortunately vets aren't clued up about rabbit lice because most owners never spot them. My rabbits had the first case of lice that my vet had ever seen :shock:

In theory, lice are supposed to be treatable by a course of ivermectin injections, but this didn't work on my rabbits. Thankfully Xenex Ultra did succeed in killing the lice, but one rabbit temporarily had red, itchy skin following application.

I've done a bit of research on the web, and found that Xenex Ultra contain Pemethrins, whilst Xeno 450 contains Ivermectin.

So to answer my own question...Xenex Ultra should be better at treating lice.

Amy

ARC used the ultra the other year when there was a really bad problem with myxie in our area and one of the foster homes was affected by it. In addition to myxie vaccinations we treated all animals with the ultra to protect them against biting insects. Red patches which are itchy is one side effect that the packet warned us to look out for.

We had no side effects from it, however we were advised by our vet to ensure that all animals were weighed accurately and give the correct dose of this product.

Think I'm going to have to use the Xenex Ultra again then :(

Unfortunately the bunny affected isn't one that I've treated before, so I don't have a clue how he'll be affected.

I suspect that he caught lice from the manky second hand hutch he arrived here in :evil:

Amy

I've used xeno 450 on all of my bunns. Obi had them when i got him so as a matter of course i treated all of them. My vet prescribed it and they were all fine. If i remember correctly i had to use two tubes on each bun due to their weight.

I wasn't aware that their could be side effects but then all of them were fine so i'd use it again! Plus it got rid of them and i haven't had any since.
As part of the course Obi had to be treated once then again two weeks later and then again another two weeks later after that. So that was the only down side.

Good luck with getting rid of them, talking about mites/lice makes me itch though!!:?

Ivermectin is a broad-spectrum anti-parasitic med, usually used for worms, most mites and some lice. It's far more likely to treat mites than lice as only some lice are susceptible to it. There are very few meds, for people or animals, which come without any side effects at all, and unfortunately some bunnies will always have a fatal reaction to an otherwise statistically safe med. Tank was prescribed Xeno 450 for suspected Cheyletiella mites (before the culture for ringworm was positive - he came to us with it), and had one dose (of three) without any problems. Apparently the CDC (US) report that Xenex-like meds (Permethrins) commonly fail in their treatment of lice, although it's still their treatment of choice. I guess the difference between the two meds is that one's an anti-parasitic and one's a pesticide. If it were me, I'd have more confidence in Xenex treating lice/fleas etc and Xeno treating mites and worms :)

Back