• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hay, hay, HAY!

Woodlouse

Mama Doe
I've never seen bunnies eat quite as much hay as my pair tonight!

Hoops had been to the vets (to have her ears checked-nothing serious hopefully) and was looking a bit grumpy. Brought the hay bag into the lounge as she just LOVES eating hay from the bag - and then Ant and Hoops spent hours (literally!) gorging themselves!!

I'm sure if you weighed them they'd be considerably heavier than a few hours ago! Lots of healthy poos appearing from the other end tho :D

Who else has hay scoffing bunsters?

Hoops in her hay bag!
P7220578.jpg

Thats a great pic!

Billy and Emily are BIG hay eaters too, they wolf it down.

I've got my hay experts delivery coming tommorrow and I ordered some Timothey Hay so they'll think all their birthdays and christmas's have come at once!:lol: :lol:

Nicola

Aaaaaw what a fantastic picture. Our rabbit Muffin isn't a great hay eater but one of the boarders that is here this week could eat enough for the rest of them he practically jumps in the bag when i open the hutch to give them a fresh supply and is very territorial of it with his hutch buddy.

For some unknown reason, my bunnies would MUCH rather eat the hay out of the bag......they always sneak up behind me and start pulling it out and munching it down! I don't know if it's because it hasn't been touched.....or if it's just because they think they are getting away with something!!!:roll: :lol: :lol:

That is a lovely pic and the hay looks excellent quality, no wonder she's straight in there :lol:

Upton pretty much sits munching all day, he only get's 20g of pellets in a morning and they're gone in about 15 minutes so then he starts on the hay and can get through a phenomenal amount.
His favourite seems to be the stalkier meadow hay from www.dustfreehay.co.uk and he also likes their timothy hay a lot.

Burns green oat hay comes in 3rd I think and these are the only hays I've fed him so far.

I'm always amazed how quickly the hay goes in though, he's like a wood chipper!:lol:
He especially likes the thick stalky bits, other rabbits I've had have gone for seed heads first but Upton prefers tree trunks!:D

Hi Woodlouse :wave: ,

Where do you get your hay from? It looks really good. I'm always on the look out for good hays. I have a couple of real fuss monsters when it comes to eating hay.

Hugs,

Nicola and Harvey xxx

lovely pic!:D

Nicola
as for hay we buy meadow hay by the bale and also dried grass..from a feed supplier..but

if you have fussy bunnies and are near an Asda (and Sainsburys I think:? )
They sell pillow bags of meadow hay. apprx. £4.75....doesn't look great but most buns love it..in a see through pack with red and blue printing on..
worth a try and easy to get hold of...

My two both love hay, I pile up fresh hay for them morning and night and they both always dive in nose first :lol: I buy the dustfree stuff... usually I go for the 'stalkier' option, but my latest batch was softer, they still love it though. Frankie likes the really stalky chewy bits too :lol:

my 2 are major scoffers they clear a tray of hay a day (try saying that quickly! :shock: :lol: )and a large wall basket of hay every other day

helps that they are totally fed timothy at the moment :shock: as i couldnt get their fave meadow hay....i just hope that when they go back to meadow they are still as eager!

Hi :wave:
Lots of questions about the hay and comments about what good quality it is! It just comes from our local pet shop, £2.40 for a large bag. He gets it from local farmer I believe. It's nothing posh or special but the way my buns react to it, you'd think it was chocolate flavoured!

My lot love hay. Strangely they're not massive Timothy hay fans but love stalky meadow hay and oat hay.

My lot love nicking it from the bag too, they often 'mug' me as I get in the run!

Back