• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Thoughts on sawdust

Help please!!

I have a double hutch with no sawdust on the top floor - just newspaper under where Flopsy's bowl is.

Downstairs I use newspaper, then sawdust. Is there really any need for sawdust as Flopsy is litter trained and uses either of his two litter trays perfectly. Sawdust just seems to blow everywhere with the wind and seems pointless.:roll:

Is there anything else I can use on the floor to keep the warmth in instead of sawdust? Could I put old carpet down on the floor or would it get chewed?

Any advice on what other people do would be greatly appreciated as my garden has more sawdust on it than grass!!!

Thanks

My personal view is that sawdust is not very good or benefical to rabbits (or guineas). It drys out the skin and fur and when we have changed a guinea or rabbit from sawdust to hay and newspaper there fur soft and silky and good condition rather than stiff and funny feeling -dryish! Also we have had rabbits come in with eye problems because of sawdust with reacts to them.
This is my experience so we never use any in rabbits or guinea hutches just good quality hay and eating hay etc!

My Buns have carpet in their hutches. Nibbles & Bobby have a litter tray with woodshavings in and hay on top, and Biscuit's "bedroom/sheltered" part of the hutch (or what ever you call it) is woodshavings and hay.

Thanks for reply but for some reason Flopsy doesn't like hay on the floor and just moves it all out of the way. Could I use carpet or just newspaper?

I don't use sawdust either for the same reasons as above.

You could try putting some carpet down, it's easily removed if it gets nibbled

Edited to add: I just use newspaper in my bunnies dog crates
Nicola

Thanks for reply on carpet - I think you must have replied while I was typed question about carpets.

He has two litter trays downstairs which he uses and he won't have hay in his bedroom - I just have lots of shredded newspaper, an old towel and his bunny bed.

I will carpet out his hutch at the bottom now I know its ok. Husband already thinks I'm mad:rolleyes: as all I do is spend money on him so god only know what his response will be when I tell him I am carpeting out the hutch:lol:

Thanks for reply on carpet - I think you must have replied while I was typed question about carpets.

He has two litter trays downstairs which he uses and he won't have hay in his bedroom - I just have lots of shredded newspaper, an old towel and his bunny bed.

I will carpet out his hutch at the bottom now I know its ok. Husband already thinks I'm mad:rolleyes: as all I do is spend money on him so god only know what his response will be when I tell him I am carpeting out the hutch:lol:

:lol: :lol: Delux bunny pad!

I have some pieces of carpet that I put on the laminate floor for Billy and Emily cos they don't like sliding about:lol: They were just some offcuts from a friend who'd just had her carpet refitted

We got our carpet for free. My O/H's step dad is carpenter or something and fits caravans at a place in Hull, and we asked if he could get us any off cuts and he got us loads!!!! It was my O/H's idea to get the carpet for the hutches!

Nibbles is a longhaired bunny and I was getting tired of pulling bits of woodshavings out her fur all the time. My buns love their carpet!

PS. Although my boyfriend's step dad happily got us loads of carpet for the bunnys and didn't ask questions, or think it was weird, he can't get it into his head that we take the buns for walks on leads!!

Very delux bunny pad!!!

Only had Flopsy just over 3 months and I've bought a double hutch, bunny proofed all the garden for a weekend, bought him a 6 foot run for during the week, made him tunnel for access from his hutch, loads of toys, I've just ordered him an all over cover for his hutch, endless amounts of toys.

He is off to be neutured in two weeks then he's getting a girlfriend (more money). He's worth every penny (even if hubby thinks I'm mad):lol:

Think he is the second child I never had so I do spoil him rotton. Must try to remember I have a hubby and son to look after as well:shock: :shock:

Have you tried barley straw? I use it instead of sawdust. Nice and soft and a good winter insulator.

Think I have spoilt him toooooo much - he just doesn't like anything like that under his feet.

I know he will love carpet as he comes into the house on a night and is quite happy with ours.

Fussy Flopsy:lol:

Back