• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Kovu Castration! 12th October!

Hey,
Booked Kovu in for his castration today, its booked for 12th October as I'm off that weekend so can keep an eye on him!
Is there anything I need to do special? Can he eat before hand? What do I need to take with him?
What about post castration care? Is there anything I need to do for him?
So nervous for my little boy!

Kovu they are gonna nick your plums!! :shock: :shock:

Yes, he should be fed as normal before his op.
If he is an outdoor Bun he will need to be kept indoors the night after the op. But not in a too hot room so going outdoors again wont be a huge temperature change.
He will appreciate some of his fave veg and a bowl of water when he gets home. Also some nice hay to munch on

Lots of luck for the 12th :wave:

Janex

Shh Im trying not to tell him ;) lol
Hes an indoor bun, lives in my room in a pen on carpet. Would I need to put towels down for him too?
He'll be going out to live in the shed in November which is a worry as its cold by then, but I dont want to wait until next yer!

I took Charlie a container with his usual nuggets in as I was told that male's usually want to eat straight away when they come round. Glad I did, apparently he ate the lot!!!

Hope everything goes well!!

I kept Buster in for 3 days after his op, I don't know why I just kinda worried about his stitches. But he never touched them. He was done in the summer though so there wasn't any worry about the temperature differances

I've just had Storm neutered. Vet said take some of his usual food in with him so they can get him eating asap when he wakes up.

I was told to keep him warm/indoors for at least 24 hours.

He was very sleepy & grumpy when I got him home. Took a couple of days before he was back to his normal bouncy self.

Back