• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Spaying

millie1705

New Kit
Hello
Im new here so please bare with me

My baby rabbit Millie is getting spayed this week and Im wondering what advice I need to know? ..also I've noticed a yellow discharge from her bum quite recently ..she is well and theres no signs of her being ill ..but I have no idea what it is ..and its certainly not pee!

Please help! x

you'll need to bring her inside for a few nights if she's an outdoor bun, and she just needs lots of love and watch that she doesn't pull her stitches out.

I expect the vet will give her a good check over before she's spayed. Make sure you don't starve her before the op, and check that the vet gives her a gut stimulant and long-term pain relief jab before you bring her home. Godd vets do that as standard, but just check that yours does. As LL has said, she'll have to be kept indoors in the warm for a couple of nights, and keep her off scratchy bedding..old towels are ideal as you can bung them in the wash if she wees on them.Vet bed is even better as the urine is wicked away from the top surface so the rabbit isn't lying on a wet patch. Some rabbits also find it easier to drink out of bowls instead of bottles post -spay. You'll notice that she won't move around much for about 24 hrs, but don't panic...as long as she is eating, pooing, weeing and drinking she'll be ok. She'll probably only nibble bits and pieces at first, that's OK. Keep us updated! Oh, and welcome to the forum!!:)
PS When she is due to go back outdoors give her a couple of days where the temperature in the room is lowered down to nothing so that the change in temperature isn't too much for her.

Back