• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Whats this mean?!

Vicki

Alpha Buck
Harvey & Lola are a bonded pair. I had Harvey on his own then got Lola, they bonded, with Lola always being the one in charge when food is being dished out. Lately ive noticed a change especially before i cover them up at night when i give them some extra eating hay. Lola used to always be the first there, but would never push Harvey away. However lately, Harvey will be the first there and Lola seems a little scared to come and get some. Also if i put my hand infront of Harvey and put more hay infront of him or move the hay ive just put down, he will rear up on his back legs, grunt and go to scratch me with his front paws. He's never done this before :? Is he now trying to become the dominant one of the pair of them when food is delivered? If so, why is he doing it to me aswell? He's normally such a laid back rabbit and would let me do anything with him while he's eating, or just basically ignore me and carry on with what he's doing! Is he trying to control me aswell? I do tell him of and make my voice more stern, and he stops it then, he know's he cant get away with it with me, but if my mum gives him hay, she gets scared when he does it, and he knows he scares her! He's never ever gone to bite though, only scratch and grunt? Does anyone know what this behaviour means?And how i can nip it in the bud?How should i tell him of for this aswell?! If anyone has any ideas, please help! Thanks in advance!

oooh that is odd :shock: Has he been wormed as he might be extra hungry if he's got worms? Or has he been treated for e-cuniculi (same treatment as for worms but for 6 weeks) - because if he had a parasite like e-c damaging his brain it would alter his personality? I know these sound like dumb ideas, but I can't imagine why he'd suddenly become bossy otherwise - it sounds like he was quite an easy-going bunny before :? How old is he and how long ago was he neutered? What else does he eat in a day other than hay?

How weird, I was just about to make a similar post. One of my step-buns Rocky is part of a bonded four. He's a lovely sweet natured bunny but he unexpectedly lunges and bites now and then. At first I thought it was food motivated but the last two times he's done it when I've tried to stoke/pick up another rabbit. He lunges, scratches and bites, but doesn't grunt.

I thought it might be something to do with the fact that he is short sighted and the quick movement might make him go in to attack mode. Does your bun scan at all?

Rocky also seems to think he's the dominant rabbit so perhaps he's trying to tell our hands off like he does the other rabbits.

Elve, do you know how long Panacur lasts for, he was given a course when we registered with the vets and had their myxi done. Can't remember how long ago it was though. It's only been since he's become an outside rabbit he's started biting.

Last edited:
Other foods they are fed in the day are pellets in the morning, loads of fresh hay and grass, then dinner time they have their veg, the pair of them normally chase each other about when they see me come out with it, but once i put it down, sometimes Harvey will grab something and run of with it, but other than that they sit nicely and eat it. Then i give them more hay just before i cover them up. Do you think it could be a attention thing? Like he wants more of my attention than Lola so he does this? Just a thought. No he doesnt 'scan', just lunges when i put my hand directly infront of him, not every tie but lately it is all the time. I havent seen him go for Lola or try to stop her getting the hay, but she does seem a little timid to come and get it? When i first bonded them,Lola used to hump Harvey to make him move so she could get to the bit he was eating! Such a weird one? I really dont know what to think or how to stop it!? :? They are both 2 and Harvey was neutered when he was 6 months.

are you putting the hay in a hay rack? if you only have 1 hay rack try getting another one so that they have one each;) The same with the food bowls if they are sharing, try giving them a bowl each and see how it goes;) :)

My nethie has been doing this for the last year or so, and it mostly happens when there is food around.
Normally he is a happyish sort of chap who loves his wifey and is happy to be picked up and cuddled, but as soon as food enters the situation he growls, lunges at my hands and scratches. Even it I put my hand flat on the floor about a foot away from him and not move it, he'll still eventually spot my hand and have a go.
He never used to do it to his wifey (she's a huge frenchie), but more recently he has. Luckily she takes no notice whatsoever:lol:
As he's an old man I put part of it down to food aggression, but also thought he may be losing his sight, so any movement he sees as a threat.
Don't know how to stop it apart from spreading the food out so he can't guard it, and keeping my hands clear at feeding time, but it still shocks me when he catches me out:lol:

Another thing....he only does it late at night when i give them their last bit of hay before i cover them up. In the morning with pellets Lola's definatly in charge then and same when i give them their veg, its only late at night before being covered up that Harvey does this?! Its not like it every time food is dished out?! Any ideas?!

Back