• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Indoor vs Outdoor

sherbert

Young Bun
Hi :wave:

I have previously posted about bringing my rabbits in for the winter and then back out in the summer, and ive noticed recently on this forum there are a lot of posts about indoor/outdoor bunnies. So i was just wondering if people would be able to post the pros and cons (in thier experience) of outdoor/indoor bunnies. Basically why poeple think its best to have indoor or outdoor bunnies. I know theres no rule on this (no right or wrong) and its all individual, but would be great for me and im sure others in helping to make our decisions!

Hope that all makes sense!;)

:wave: Hiya! Had a quick think:

In for the winter:
Pros:
Can spend lots of time with them even when it is dark an miserable
They are warm and cozy

(Mine sleep indoors all year round and just spend daytimes in in winter and daytimes out in summer and are happy).

Cons can't really think of anything but maybe:
Have to get them/your routine used to going out again in Spring/Summer. That is a bit of a rubbish one but thought I ought to try and think of something!:D

:D Thanks for trying!
General indoor vs outdoor pros and cons would be good too, not just the winter summer thing (thats just me!:lol: )

Outdoor pro's: Can act on instinct a lot more, I say generally bunnies are ahppier outdoor which is reflected in their body language, fresh air, dont get too hot, more running free time in my case ie you can get bigger accommodation for outdoors may not be so easy indoors, less risk of harming themselves ie wires indoors

Outdoor cons: Cold for you to go out in winter, gets dark early in winter so you can let them be out in dark cos of mr fox (thats my view) you cant interact with your bunnies as much.

There's my input :lol:

I think it depends on the bunnies and also the situation, my buns are house bunnies and have 24/7 access to a room with no wires etc so they are completely safe and have a large space to run around in, they also have tunnels etc to play with. I also get to see more of them than I would if they were outdoor. I often wonder if they would be happier outside, but as I live in a flat it isn't an option at the moment. I think space and ennvironment is more important than indoor or outdoor, but I would choose one or the other rather than between the two.

I think it depends on the bunnies and also the situation, my buns are house bunnies and have 24/7 access to a room with no wires etc so they are completely safe and have a large space to run around in, they also have tunnels etc to play with. I also get to see more of them than I would if they were outdoor. I often wonder if they would be happier outside, but as I live in a flat it isn't an option at the moment. I think space and ennvironment is more important than indoor or outdoor, but I would choose one or the other rather than between the two.

Ditto I would not keep moving them indoors and outdoors as it may upset them and could break bonds which is something I couldnt personally risk :shock:

My bunnies were outdoors but are now indoors.

Indoors pros:
They interact with you more, and are more part of the family
Easier to spot illness at the very earliest signs
No cleaning out in the rain/cold

Indoors cons:
Mess
Smell (not too much though)
Fur getting everywhere (it's hard to pick up with the hoover)
Bunny proofing the house and keeping them out of certain areas

Outdoors pros:
Natural environment
Mess is outdoors!

Outdoors cons:
Harder to visit them when the weather is awful
Might miss the early signs of illness
Bunnies are more interactive with each other than with humans

Edit: I forgot to add, my bunnies had a huge hutch/run outside, but get even more space indoors, as they have free run of quite a lot of the house - they are very good about not chewing things (mostly) though. I know they'd hate to be stuck in a dog crate. So it does depend on the individual bunnies and your situation, I think.

Alvin is an indoor bun....

pros... i get to spend all my time with him witout missing my fav soaps.. hes a very relaxed little thing and seems very happy hes inside with his family.. i get to witness all the crazy stuff he does that i would definately miss if he was banished outside....

cons.. the need to follow him around with a hand held vac for them million poos and the wallpaper munching

i would not consider making him an outside bun as ive read theres so many dangers and i want him to live as long as his little body allows... ive read indoor buns live longer.. if he was outside id probably lose interest in being with him especially when its cooooollllldddd!!

my personal view on pets, they are family and should have the right to live in the family home :)

hehe go with your heart :D dont listen to the brain which will scream mess mess mess.... the heart will tell you inside or outside....lol

For me it's about what kind of bunnies they are, and what kind of human you are! :lol: My bunnies like space and no boundaries, and neither me or my husband are very outdoorsy people.

Back