• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

An outdoor bunny into an indoor bunny?

Thats basically my question, I have been missing the interaction with them while they have been outside, and as I work from home would love them to live indoors. Is it possible to move them inside without too much stress? Or because they have been outside since I got them (about 2 weeks, they are now 3 months old) will it be harder or impossible? many thanks x

Well if you work from home and winter's on it's way, I'd say go for it, so long as you bunny proof carefully, especially electrical wiring. My rabbits hated being indoors and just sat on one spot of the carpet all day looking bored - but you won't know till you try! Lots of people move their bunnies in and they love it - rabbits are very individual :)

super! ill give it a go then. They often come in the house of their own accord, when I leave the back door open they wander in for a nosey! So they are already sort of familier with the smells etc

We brought ours in for the winter. They do like their outdoor 'mansion' (huge dog shed with two areas. one inside one outside) but they also love coming inside. I dont think they binky unless they're inside having a run.. Usually if they're in their outside place they're sat on their chair looking out into the garden :lol:
We have a large run with an upstairs hutch inside now, and block off the lower end of the living room when we let them out for a run.

we never see much of Alvin, usually asleep under the sofa.. but strangely he tends to be in the same room as us even if we cant see him.... i think your buns will luv being able to interact with their mum 24/7 :D :D

It'll probably be fine. My bunnies change from going in and out all the time.
When I first got Zakura I kept her in my bedroom, as it was the middle of December and she was not used to outside temperatures. I then moved her out as spring came, then back in at winter.
During the winter I started having problems sleeping (some bunny can't shut up:roll: ) so I took her to school. There she was kept in the storage room which had almost outside temperatures, by gradually getting her used to it she did fine, despite it being the middle of winter. :shock:
Then I got Sasuke in May, and he was kept outdoors, as I only had one outdoor hutch at the time I kept Zakura indoors again till I got the new hutches.
Then both of them stayed outside the whole winter. (I wasn't allowed to bring Sasuke in and figured I might as well keep both outside so they could keep each other company, despite the fact they live in seperate hutches they seem to prefer it that way)
Then this summer I got Aroma, born and outdoor bun, but I moved her indoors once again for lack of outdoor hutches.
However this automn Sasuke got sore paws, so I decided to have him and Aroma switch cages to keep him away from humidity.

I'm sure they'll be fine. My house bun actually sits/lays under the coffee table most of the daytime anyway and doesn't actually come out to 'play' until after tea-time. I agree with donnamt though, Charlie loves being 'with' us as opposed to being in a different room. Also, his mad-hour is between 7 and 9pm - he has us in stitches with his antics - something I would have completely missed if he was outside, esp in winter with dark nights. And it's great when you sit down to watch TV and he jumps up on your knee for a snuggle!! (depends on your bunny's nature, obviously!!) :D

Back