• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How can I help rabbits and other animals in need?

Beatrix Potter

Mama Doe
Hello

I have got 2 cats and 2 bunnies. One bunny is wild and was hand reared and the other is from a rescue. Since hand rearing I have done alot of research on bunnies and learnt so much despite having had rabbits for years.

I am now very aware of how many bunnies are in rescue centres and am very annoyed at pet shops that sell little bunnies to people for their kids who suddenly go 'off' them so they end up in rescues too!

Because of this I made my final visit to P@H last week and will not be going back.

How can I make people aware of this and what can I do? I'd love to be a rescue myself but sadly I have no room but in the future this is want I would like to do.

In the meantime I want to do something worthwhile, me and my partner have come up with the following things can anyone help who speaks from experience?

Contact all the rescues in my area and get some of their rabbits on to the rabbit rehome website, as despite quite a few rescues in my area none seem to be on this website.

Perhaps create my own website highlighting all the animals in my area in rescue centres.

Write to local papers etc re the situation.

Suzanne

They sound like good ideas :) If you have a car I'm sure you could also ask local rescues if they need a hand with the rabbits - cleaning is never-ending, and the bunnies need good handling before they can be rehomed too - or maybe you could do homechecks, ferry rabbits to the vets etc.? :)

They sound like good ideas :) If you have a car I'm sure you could also ask local rescues if they need a hand with the rabbits - cleaning is never-ending, and the bunnies need good handling before they can be rehomed too - or maybe you could do homechecks, ferry rabbits to the vets etc.? :)

hi elve thanks for that. I have got a car but share with my partner so haven't always got the use of it. Most rescues near me are about 10 miles away, though someone on here mentioned one in my town yet they are not very well advertised as I've not seen them anywhere else!

Yes, help at a local rescue centre is good idea. I volunteer at my local RSPCA on Saturday mornings and really enjoy it.:D

ps I just got a list of local rescues off the internet with the plan of contacting them and asking if they need any help - the first one I contacted (RSPCA) said yes so didn't get round to calling the others! Have been doing it for over a year and a half and don't regret it one bit!:D Was a volunteer keeper at London Zoo on Saturdays before that and that was really interesting too - it is a charity as well so you might find something totally different like that in your area that needs help.

If you've got the space you could foster bunnies only needs to be one or two at a time. I've got the number for Northampton Rab Rescue, they mentioned they'd like help with photos to me is that's close?

Tam

I donate by Standing Order every month to the rescue I got my lot from. It gives me a warm glow!

Also, find out what sort of things a rescue needs and take some stuff over. At the moment I'm on the look out for those Supreme pet balls with the bell in for the rescue (they're trying to give one away with every rabbit they rehome, so they have a toy that they're used to I think).

Even just going over and spending time with the bunnies is useful for a rescue.

If you've got the space you could foster bunnies only needs to be one or two at a time. I've got the number for Northampton Rab Rescue, they mentioned they'd like help with photos to me is that's close?

Tam

Yes heard of rabbit rescue, they have a website with some bunnies on but they're not updated that often. I think they do have a lady who does their website and puts on photos for them, but none are featured on here. Quite happy to help!

What does the fostering involve? I have only one spare hutch (no run attached) but its a large hutch and I have the kitchen for a run around.

Fostering varies a bit between rescues but it's basically like boarding the rabbit. The rescue usually covers vets bills and you provide the time/cuddles. It can be for socializing a bunny more, while it gets neutered or recovers from an injury, or just until there is space for the rescue to take it. It can be anything from a week or so to a few months.

Tam

Rabbit Rescue is brilliant (I know most rescues are but they're particularly:) ), it's where I got my lot.

They're quite a small operation, so any help would be great for them. I was there the other day and they have some beautiful rabbits and guinea pigs there.

Back