• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Solitary bunny?

My female is a solitary bunny,i feel sorry for her,i have tryed in the past to introduce her to another bunny(male neutered)But she really injured him,is she lonely on her own??

it doesnt seem fair that she is in the hutch alone but i dont know what else i can do??Any advice??:(

is she speyed? if not would be worth getting her done..waiting a few weeks and trying again..I do believe the majority of rabbits are much happier in pairs.
keep us posted:D

Can't she be a house bunny? If not then she'd probably enjoy having other bunnies around - I know my 2 singletons are happy with having another bunny just nearby, even though they're not living with each other :)

My big girl lives by herself and is PERFECTLY happy. She loves having the hutch to herself. I did want to get her a friend, but then I thought that me & her have a really special bond, and I didn't want to break that.

Nibbles lived by herself until we got Bobby. You could tell that she needed a man in her life. She was really miserable and nervous, and she's gone back to her normal happy bouncy self

My big girl lives by herself and is PERFECTLY happy. She loves having the hutch to herself. I did want to get her a friend, but then I thought that me & her have a really special bond, and I didn't want to break that.

does adding another buinny affect the bond with the owner?? not disagreeing, jsut interested :)

does adding another buinny affect the bond with the owner?? not disagreeing, jsut interested :)

Biscuit's my baby. We have a super special relationship, that another bunny couldn't compete with, and I think Biscuit will get jelous of the other bunny trying to get my attention.

If I am honest, yes I think it does. Bailey is not so close to me as he was before I got Luuna. I used to get lots of attention from him and lots of bunny kisses! I don't get so much now as he is not in need of my attention so much, but the fact that he was so needy of me before I got Luuna shows that he needed a friend! They are so happy together, I am a bit sad that he and I don't have such a close bond now, but I'd rather he had her and was more happy and less lonely :)

ETA: Every bunny will be different though, I'm not trying to offend people who have single bunnies as some really are happier on their own :wave:

I honestly think Biscuit would prefer me to another Bunny. She's never seemed interested in other Bunnys. She gets to see Bobby & Nibbles every day though through the run wire and she couldn't care less if they were there or not. Plus, there's no way she'd EVER share her food with somebun else! Biscuit's a "special kind of rabbit" though as her hutch says!

i havent tried dating Alvin yet... hes still a baby.. i will wait till hes a year old or so then he can decide if he wants a girlfriend...... i cant imagine him lonely tho hes got two adults constantly trying to get his attention and a dog to groom when he feels the need.... chipmunks to chase when hes feelin mean.... im hoping he wont bond with another bun when the time comes purely for selfish i want him to myself reasons... will find out next year...lol

the problem with most single buns..not all..is that humans sleep all night..bunnies don't..and you have to go shopping..see friends, work etc..so the bun will spend a lot of time on it's own..seeing 2 bunnies groom each other is lovely..so I always advise to try to bond a bun:D

Awwww!! Do the chipmunks like him? I love chipmunks!

hes not sure of them.. they go into his house and hes not impressed.. i think they may move a bit to fast for him at the moment, they sniff each other tho so im sure hell get used to them... the female chipmunk is a bit weary of him too but the boy has no fear at all :D

I've been having a dilema as to whether to let Choci bond with Lily, because me a choci are so close. I even considered trying to find space for him in the house, so we could be closer, but it just wasn't practical. In fact, while I was reading this thread, I was grooming Choci and trying to make my mind up.

In the end Choci himself made the choice for me, he hated it indoors tonight, I surpose to hot for him, and when I took him back to his hutch he lept from my arms to get to lily. Too me this is the sign I'v been looking for.

I do believe bunnys can be happy either way, given the right circumstances, like if choci was always a house bunny and never saw lily. But in the end, we are no subsitute for their own kind.

Although having said all this somebunnies are always going to like there own company, just like some humans.

vikki:wave:

All my buns are solitary, though seem to enjoy the company of their neighbours.
Mine aren't neutered cept for one (show-rabbits) so they can't be bonded.
Zakura doesn't like Aroma and Sasuke can't live with either one of the girls or he'd hump them both to death (even though Zakura is neutered...+I'm not intrested in one litter of baby bunnies from Aroma every month, that wouldn't be fair on her either:? )
Zakura occasionally runs with Sasuke though, but only when I can make sure he's not botherin her too much. So they are never enclosed together (in a cage ro a run) but running loose wearing a harness for safety.

If your rabbit doesn't want rabbit company I see no reason to give her any. She'd be better of alone than with an injured/dead cage-mate.
Females also tend to be more territorial than males.

have you thought about trying her with a female;)

we are in middle of bonding buns but at rescue we tried chelsea with all the males and she bit at them all almost but she finally liked and licked a female..so sometimes this works...(she is speyed)

Its funny my frenchie that just died recently used to go to each run in the garden to see the other rabbits and they all liked him and he used to lie next to them in turn. But I have one mini lop that does not like any of the other rabbits. He has no teeth but when they come up to his run he will try and get them with his gums.He lives indoors with the dogs and only wants to be with them. I don't think he sees himself as a rabbit. One of my bonded pairs loved the frenchie but if my gummy bun goes near them they hate him also. Perhaps cos he is indoors and always being licked by the dogs he does not smell like a rabbit. That's him in my avatar. Pam

Ours is a house bun, and we regularly discuss the possibility of a friend for him. I work different hours every day and some at home, he's rarely on his own for more than 2 hours, so am not concerned about him being lonely.
When we boarded him in the summer for 2 weeks, I thought that would be a chance to see if he's interested in other buns, and he wasen't at all. He sniffed at one a couple of times and that was all.
Since then, hes become more loving & seems happiest around us. We've decided to review it if at any time he seems unhappy or lonely.

I think most rabbits are defiently happier with a friend.

I'm sorry if this offends anyone, but I personally think it is selfish to keep your rabbit single so they still give you attention- I don't think a human can truly give a rabbit what another bunny can.

I have a single rabbit, Audrey, and she was happier before her friend died. Unfortunately I'm not in a postion to get her another friend, and to be honest I do not want any more rabbits, but it is something I may have to consider when my situation is different as she is lonely- and I know she really likes me, but it's not enough IMO.

Back