• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Retrobular abscess? Daisy has died 8-(

SOAD

Wise Old Thumper
Daisy, one of my 10 year old ladies had a caterax and then secondary glaucoma, she was due to have her eye out over the next couple of weeks. Anyway on the weekend the caterax disappeared and the bulging eye went away, which led to my believe of an abscess behind the eye, her breathing was laboured yesterday, but she seemed well enough, so I started her on the baytrill and gave her some metacam, until I can get to my vets this morning (emergency vets told me there was nothing wrong with a dying bun, so no point in taking her there).

I've taken her to the vets this morning and they've agreed that is what has happened, the pus has moved to her chest though, so she is quite poorly. They gave me two options, the first to have her pts or to try, I've opted to try. She now on ceporex, as well as baytril and metacam and obviously stuff for her gut with all the antibiotics she's on. They said being as she's alert and comfortable, they're happy to try and save her, but have warned me that she'll probably not live to see out the course. If she takes a turn for the worse, I'll have her pts, but I want to give her every chance possible. They can't remove her eye, untill her chest is clear.

Please does anyone have any experience, with an abscess behind the eye and what was the outcome?

Last edited:
Im sorry I dont have any experience at all. I want to send vibes to Daisy bun and nose rubs. Hugs to you Tree. I hope she stays comfortable and the medication helps her :)

Thanks for the vines :thumb: :lol: :lol:

Your welcome:lol: :lol: :lol: had to cut them down anyway so it is good that they can be be of use elsewhere :lol: :lol: just hope they fit through your letter box:lol: :lol: :lol:

Tamsin - why can we not have auto correction on the forum:lol: :lol: :lol:

Grace had a retrobulbar abcess in Jan this year.

Unfortunately she went downhill very quickly. We noticed her eye looked sore and a bulgy on the Sat night, by sunday morning I took her to the vets. Vet diagnosed blocked tear duct.

By Monday she was in so much pain and was going into stasis, refused to eat and drink so I started syringe feeding her.

Back to the vet for metacam and metaclop saw a different vet who thought it was an abcess, they were concered about her being in stasis and advised to syringe feed and get more painrelief and metaclop on tuesday. Finally they agreed to sedate her and have a good look in her mouth etc.

I got a phonecall saying that the abcess was fairly large and they didn't really want to put her under a GA whilst in stasis and they didn't think she would have any chance of pulling through.

She was in pain and so unhappy, when I wasn't syringe feeding her she was just laid with her head on the floor and wouldn't move.

So I decided to PTS, I was with her the whole time.

If Daisy is still fine in herself it's worth trying to treat it.

Nicola

Thanks Nicola, that is really interesting, I'm so sorry that you lost Grace, it must of been terrible for you. :cry:

Teressa is worrying herself sick over this I have just told her to go have a break in the fresh air cos shes made herself ill after only just getting over a cold it has returned again.

I am sure she will reply soon but at the moment she is too upset.

Teressa is worrying herself sick over this I have just told her to go have a break in the fresh air cos shes made herself ill after only just getting over a cold it has returned again.

I am sure she will reply soon but at the moment she is too upset.

Sorry, I didn't mean to upset her

:cry:

Janex

Back