• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hutch leaking - would you take it back?

DDD

Mama Doe
I bought this hutch in April this year, and it wasn't cheap at £130. I have been cleaning out the rabbits this morning and noticed this in the ceiling.

PA010023.jpg

PA010024.jpg

PA010025.jpg

PA010026.jpg

i think i might print the pics and take into the shop and demand a new one as not very good its not even a year old!

I'd definately let them know about it.

Did they offer any kind of guarantee of how long it should last, when you bought it?

I'd ask for a replacement and tell them the hutch you bought is designed for outdoor use and should be able to withstand a certain amount of rain, wind etc and that it's not even rained much recenlty so the product is obviously not able to 'withstand the riggors of daily use'.

If they get awkward threaten trading standards.

Nicola

They would probably offer to repair first rather than replace. It could be a nick in the felt on the roof that has allowed water to seep in but, do you really want another one as it is made of plywood and that is the worlds worst for water retention unless you paint it with a protective waterproof pet freindly paint;)

Does the roof overlap the actual hutch?

They would probably offer to repair first rather than replace. It could be a nick in the felt on the roof that has allowed water to seep in but, do you really want another one as it is made of plywood and that is the worlds worst for water retention unless you paint it with a protective waterproof pet freindly paint;)

yeh the roof overlaps, and has roofing felt on. im so unhappy about it as wasnt cheap at all.
it has a waterproof coating which is bunny proof, but looks like the roof is leaking so getting wet inside

Yes, I would definitely show them the photos.

Use the word "sub-standard" when you tell them about it, and hopefully, they will accept responsibility and replace the hutch, or give you a full refund.

Carol xx

how could they repair? i wouldnt have anywhere for them to live!!!
gona go there soon, have printed pics. will dig out recepit in a min

how could they repair? i wouldnt have anywhere for them to live!!!
gona go there soon, have printed pics. will dig out recepit in a min

they would replace the damp plywood and re-roof;) they may offer you a curtesy hutch:lol: :lol:

If it is any help, shades paint is pet friendly and waterproof, well worth painting inside a hutch, it also prevents urine soaking into the wood too:D

they would replace the damp plywood and re-roof;) they may offer you a curtesy hutch:lol: :lol:

If it is any help, shades paint is pet friendly and waterproof, well worth painting inside a hutch, it also prevents urine soaking into the wood too:D

thanks will look into the inside paint!! got the receipt now so going to go and see what they say

I would definatly complain, and if they agrue, mention you are part of a community of rabbit owners who often ask for reccomendations on hutches ;)

I wouldn't settle for repair either, as the water may have got into the sides and caused damage. Let us know how you got on?

Its from P@H Thistle Hall.

I went there today, and they said i can take it back and replace it. its a bit of a kerfuffle as will have to take it apart, and then take it there and get a new one. dont know what i will do with the rabbits in the mean time while we are transferring as dont like to leave them in their run when im not here.

think i will have to invest in a waterproof cover.

they argued and said that its an outdoor product so bound to get wet, i sais yes of course, but should last longer than 6months!!

Its from P@H Thistle Hall.

I went there today, and they said i can take it back and replace it. its a bit of a kerfuffle as will have to take it apart, and then take it there and get a new one. dont know what i will do with the rabbits in the mean time while we are transferring as dont like to leave them in their run when im not here.

think i will have to invest in a waterproof cover.

they argued and said that its an outdoor product so bound to get wet, i sais yes of course, but should last longer than 6months!!

Err thats why it should be waterproof :roll: well at least they will replace it for you?
Bit of a pain though!

I paint my hutches in side and out, makes them last much longer and more hygenic when cleaning out. I also keep a tarp over them as water always seems to find somewhere to creep in.

Err thats why it should be waterproof :roll: well at least they will replace it for you?
Bit of a pain though!

it is a pain isnt it. they are so thick in some of these shops. i hope they def remember to save one for me when i go back at the weekend as otherwise bunnies will be homeless!

If it were me, ( I am the queen of complaining) I would ask for a partial refund to get either a cover or to get it fixed yourself. Say that it is too much hassle to take it apart and have no where for the bunnies and you would like a partial refund. Phone up the manager I would and if you get no joy call the head office and tell them it is completely impractical to take it back and a partial refund towards repairs would be much more beneficial.

They should last longer than 6 months I totally agree. My son bought me a thistle hall as a spare hutch and it has been used as a foster hutch with run attached :D I went out and bought the Scratch and Newton cover for it. It was pricey :shock: but the hutch is always dry and warm.

I would take it back to them, has it had a waterproof paint on it? as i know a one of my hutches don;t and am going to paint it, had to do that with Pringles as well every so often so it doesnt get damp x

Glad you've complained and got an exchange. Did you explain to them that you'd have nowhere to put the buns? Why can't they let you take a new one then return with the old on?? I would write a letter to the Head Office complaining about poor quality, upset for the bun etc...

Back