• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bun with cystitis - advice please?

Fairy13

Wise Old Thumper
Hi, this morning we noticed that Rowan, our bun, didn't want much brekkie and was looking very uncomfortable. We gave her a syringe feed and infacol and then tried her in her run to see if she'd try any grass (normally she's a living lawnmower!) and nothing, I did notice her go a wee 3 times or so in ten mins with not alot there. We gave my vet a call and went on down there. Vet suspected cysitis too as her guts felt normal and she couldn't feel any sign of bladder stones so she gave her an injection with an antibiotic and anti inflammatory, and she has to go back for another on thursday.

A little while later Rowan perked up and is acting just fine now, munching away.
But - Lilly is now not eating this evening. It sat looking uncomfortable and I've tried loads of things to tempt her but she's just not interested. I had a good feel of her belly (unusual for her to let me do that) and, not that I'm in anyway an expert, but she didnt feel doughy or bloated. I'm wondering if she could have cystitis the same as Rowan?:? They dont live together - lilly lives with her sister holly - holly seems fine.
The only thing I can thing is they did have Coriander and Parsley for tea yesterday. They've had it before but not for a while. I've heard that parsley I think is high in calcium is it? or is very alkali? Could this have caused the cystitis? :?
Oh and I've called our vet and am waiting for a call back from her right now :?
Does anyone have any ideas?

I used to get cystitis loads :oops: and I was told to drink cranberry juice! Someone on here was talking about adding fruit juice to bunny's drinking water, so maybe you could put cranberry juice in their drinking water? I don't even own any rabbits yet tho, so don't take my word for it - see if anyone else thinks this might be a good idea first!

Did your vet ofer you any pain killer for the cystitis? My Fiver gets urinary incontinence when he has Cystitis and he wets himself....basically because due to the pain of peeing he cant direct it away from his body.

His cystitis was secondary to him needing a dental, which put him off his food as did the pain of the cystitis itself.

Hi, Thanks for the reply. No she didnt have any painkiller, just the antibiotic and anti inflammatory.
She has to go back (Rowan this is) on thursday for another injection so I will ask about the possiblity of an underlying tooth problem and see if they can just have a look. Thanks for that.

As for Lilly, well, my vet called me back and said the parsley they had the night before could have irritated them, so that could have been the cause.
Lilly wasn't straining to go as Rowan was. Just not eating and seemed uncomfortable. But no bloating or doughyness.
My vet thought it would pass and said to syringe feed her etc.

So we gave her infacol and fed her pellets soaked in cooled boiled water with some probiotic added from a syringe. She was the model patient and took loads. Then once we popped her back in last night she hopped about, did a wee in her litter tray and started munching hay :D

So I'm just about to check on them all this morning but fingers crossed, Thanks for replying x

Yay :D Just been out and everybun is lively and bouncy and Hungry!! (and Lilly hates me, which is great cos it means we're back to normal!:roll: :lol: ) :D
I'm so relieved! I will keep a close eye and investigate the tooth problem possibilty. Thanks Sooz22. I love the quote in your siggie by the way :D

:oops: Thank you and your welcome :D

Its amazing what problems can be seconadry to dental complaints :rolleyes:

Back