• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Can bunny poos be used as fertilizer?

I was looking this up this morning. You can add bunny & piggy waste to a compost heap just not cat and dog stuff.

I've often wondered that, when we used to have mickey and lucy, they were free range buns so would poop in our flower beds can't say whether it did the plants any good because they ate the flowers too:lol: :lol:

I think you could put them in a compost bin, I mean they to decompose, and I don't think it would harm the compost.

I'm going to stop rambling now and wait for a better responce than mine:lol:

vikki:D

I've read that because the poos are mostly hay/grass they can be used directly round plants without composting them. I've been using them & there has been no damage to the plants. The flowers would probably have been lovely if only the bunnies hadn't eaten them!

All the bunny waste here goes iompost bin and always has done - it breaks down pretty quickly, and is then used around our garden. :)

The poop that litters the grass when they're out in the run doesn't seem to negatively impact on it... I just can't be sure the fast growth and bright greeness is due to bunny poos. It's the sort of grass which thrives with a day of rain and shoots up an extra inch anyway.

:wave: My buns have the free run of the garden most days when we are around and their toilet area is right in the middle of the garden and the grass grows very quickly there compared to the rest of it!! I don't have any flowers either as they have eaten them all:(

It can because it's 100% vegetarian. The only thing I'm wary off (and I've stopped using pelleted chicken manure for the same reason) is that foxes may be drawn to the smell of the poops.

We have a concreted back yard with loads of plastic troughs and I frequently top them up with rabbit poo. We get interesting mushrooms :shock: and much better grass growing in them, especially the 100% rabbit poo troughs.

Neil

I'm digging a deep trench where next year's sweet peas are going. I'm currently filling it with the litter trays' contents....megazorb, hay, wee and poo!! I'll let you know how the flowers do next summer!!!

When I lived with my friend Jason he used to put bunny poo in his plants cos we read somewhere that it was like slow release fertilizer and his plants thrived. I then got asked by other people for bags of poo to do the same. I've also read that they're good for plants in fish tanks.

i have used the bunny poop as fertilizer before did seem to help :D ..... although had some random tomato plants grow :shock: :lol:

Back