• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Signs of Bunny Pregnancy (nipple/teat changes etc?)

Bex

Warren Scout
A couple of weeks back I posted that there was a possibility that my Evie bun could be pregnant after her partner Daphne was mis-sexed by me, my family, the vets and generally everyone.

They were seperated straight away, and we hoped that there was minimal chance of pregnancy due to them both being young. All was fine and I had her checked out by the vet who even didn't think she was. She's shown no hint of nest building yet, and I appreciate that rabbits are known as showing no signs of pregnancy due to them being prey animals etc.

However...I picked her up last night when I was sat in the run with her, and I'm either paranoid or her nipples are definately more defined and raised than they have ever been, I know that in other animals this would be a definate sign of pregnancy, however I've been unable to determine if this could be a sign in bunnies.

If they had mated the very last few days they had been together then this would be the week that she is due so I'd rather not stress her by taking her on a long journey to the vets again.

She has a lovely big home and I've provided her with loads of nesting materials if it does happen, I'm just wondering if there are any signs I should be looking for.

Thanks so much for any input, I've had such a stressful time lately with poor Remus that I'm a bit nervous about poor little Evie.

Last edited:
How old are they? Rabbits can sexually mature from 10-16 weeks and go pregnant for 4 weeks.
I'm afraid it's very hard to tell whether a rabbit is pregnant or not, some may gain some weight but that may well vary from the size of the rabbit and the litter. Also from 12 days pregnancy you might be able to feel the babies in there but its hard, espesially when you're not experienced. Usually the best way to know for sure is to wait a month and see if the babies arrive.

They are both 5 months (Evie nearer 6, Daphne/Daffyd younger).

To be honest I wouldn't want to poke or manipulate her just in case she was, so I guess as long as nobody else has any telltale signs I'm back to wait and see physcology.

Thanks so much for you help.

Yeah, may not be a smart idea to poke her belly too much, unless you know exactly how or where to feel.:roll: I'm not sure... i go for the "wait 4 weeks method":lol: At least 5 months ain't too bad for a first time mother. Of course I wouldn't recomend letting a bunny have a litter before 6-8 months but I'm sure she'll be okay at 5.;) (All depends on the bun of course)

You have some signs, but non give an exclusive answer.
There nippels can be bigger, on the end they might rest much on their side so they don't have to lie on there belly.
But they can also do this when they are fake pregnant.
One of the few proved ways is by weiging her before the possible pregnancy and after a week of 2 or 3.
When they have gainend a large amount of weight on the same diet they are almost for certain pregnant.
Most females only make nest at the very end, and some while they are giving birth.
Feeling for the babies is a very dangerous thing if your not experienced.
If you don't now what exatly to feel you can mistake something for babies.
Beside that, if you feel in the rong way, you can harm here babies and may even cause a miscaridge.
I would just wait til the 33 day sinds the last day they were together.
If she hasn't had he babies then yet, she won't either

Rabbit pregnancy has ben known to last up to 35 days so I would wait until then before removing any nest boxes etc. just incase.

About 10-14 days before birth mothers can become very territorial and nervous and often growl or squeak if you go near them or try to touch them. Appetite increases and she should be fed as though she is pregnant just incase. A lactating Doe should be on FOUR TIMES her normal amount of food. Sometimes the stomach is bloated by the third week and an experienced keeper can 'palpate' the abdomen to feel for kits but its very tricky.

At around 21 days give her a nest box and lots of bedding materials. Mother usually nest in the hours leading up to birth but some start a few days earlier. The best indication that birth is imminent is when she starts to luck fur from her chest and use it to line her nest....then you can expect babies in the next few hours!

Plucking fur is not a safe sign.
Some bunnies do this a week before giving birth, others just before.:roll:
Also, regarding feeding pregnant buns, they should not be given more food than usual. If they get too much it could be harder and even dangeorus to give birth.

Also, regarding feeding pregnant buns, they should not be given more food than usual. If they get too much it could be harder and even dangeorus to give birth.

Are you kidding me????

Feed your rabbit aprox., 1/4 cup per 5-7 lbs of adult weight. Young rabbits (under 1 year) and pregnant or lactating does should be feed as much as they can eat. Source http://www3.telus.net/raisinghouserabbits/feeding.htm

As a rabbit owner, this is the most important part of your work. This governs the health and general well-being of your pet. Most beginners will tend to overfeed their rabbits, making them ill. Other than pregnant does, most rabbits need to be fed only once per day. If you feed at a regular time of day your rabbit will soon be used to a routine. Source http://www.petpeoplesplace.com/resources/articles/small_pets/faq07.htm

The quantity offered varies of course, but you can expect a rabbit to eat 60-140g of grain a day depending on age and use, with lactating does requiring the most. The maintenance diet is best kept at about 70g of grain a day to avoid obesity. Young growing rabbits should be free-fed. Source http://members.tripod.com/earthhome/feedr.html

I admit that I do watch them breed so that I can help plan the pregnancy for the Doe. This entails feeding the Doe twice as much, providing her with extra hay and nesting material, and trying not to handle her too much – would you like being picked up when you were pregnant Source http://www.mismatch.co.uk/rabbitbreed.htm

If you are reffering to the stomach capacity being decreased by the growing kits then I would advise you that another sign of impending kindling is a DECREASE in appetite as the Doe self-controls her food consumption.

This is only necessary near birth as all the extra feed is being used on the growing feotuses and not stored by the Doe.

Last edited:
Tinkerbell made her nest (with pulled fur and straw/hay) 3-4 days before she gave birth.If you handled your rabbit alot before she got pg you may notice her getting heavier.

Thanks everybody, still no babies as of yet.

I have to be honest and say she's been eating a little more than usually lately, but that could be because she has been seperated and now has more chance to get at food.

Are you kidding me????

Nope Zakura is correct - pregnant does should NOT be given any extra rations. I start to increase food slightly as soon as their born and then once kits are out of the nest as much food goes int he hutch as they'll eat, but during the pregnancy the doe stays on the same rations.

I've never heard of ANY of those sites you found so I wouldn't trust them at all. You're better off actually looking at breeders websites for advise like this, although even some breeders have conflicting views :roll:

The decrease in appetite just before birth is correct, guess its because they've got all those yummy afterbirths and placentas to eat! :shock:

Nope Zakura is correct - pregnant does should NOT be given any extra rations. I start to increase food slightly as soon as their born and then once kits are out of the nest as much food goes int he hutch as they'll eat, but during the pregnancy the doe stays on the same rations.

I've never heard of ANY of those sites you found so I wouldn't trust them at all. You're better off actually looking at breeders websites for advise like this, although even some breeders have conflicting views :roll:

The decrease in appetite just before birth is correct, guess its because they've got all those yummy afterbirths and placentas to eat! :shock:

My main advice was from an American breeders book but also about 5 others I have at home, couldnt find quotes for these on the web so had to search for others. My search terms were unbiased- "What to feed a pregnant doe"...no-where did I find a site that said 'as you would normally' personally with the two litters we have had, I did increase food rations....which is also what my vet recommended to prevent mum from becoming ill or weak with the demands placed on her by the kits.

I couldnt find any breeders websites with such advice but if you know of some would appreciate the links.

I've helped breeding rabbits several times and know quite a few breeders, never heard from any serious breeder to feed them as much as they like, IMO a rabbit should NEVER have free access to pellets, unless it is good at rationing it itself.
I feed pregnant doe the same as usual, and they do fine, once the kits are born I hear some feed twice normal amount, I tend to feed normal amount x number of babies.

Overweigth is EXTREMELY dangerous for a pregnant doe. It may cause the babies to grow too big and get stuck in the birth canal, either because of their own size or mom's.
The pellet brand I use says to feed a tiny bit more pellets the last week of pregnancy only, personally I don't do this. The does do perfectly fine on normal feeding:)

Never feed a pregnant doe more than usual.
because of the increes of nutrition the youngsters get more than they should and the chanche is verry big that they get to large
This shouldn't be such a big problem if your doe has a large pelvis, but even then it can be a big problem.
Not to think what would happen if she has a small pelvis.
So DON'T give her more than usual if you love her (which i don't thougt)
Give her as much food as she want's as soon as she has given birth.
A doe that is pregnant should give birth from the 28 to the 31 day.
Best is 31 days, somethimes they are a day to late, but more than that there is always something very rong and you probably won't get live bunnies or the mother can even die

Back