• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Wild Bun Help Again

emandden

Young Bun
bunny is tucking in to the pellets i gave her.but how do you teach a rabbit to drink water from the bowl.and how many greens should i give her each day,dont want to upset her tum.and when should i stop the lactol

Hi i would just leave the bowl she will know what its for. I prefer water bottles as if you are not sure if they are drinking you can hear the ball clacking away :lol:

Greens hmm its up to you but i would not give to much just a small handful every day or 2.

Lactol you could just stop when you think its ready. Buns usually wean from their mums at 6-7 weeks so if you want then. Also thats maybe why she is not drinking from the bowl as she is getting fluids from you.

You could try putting a little lactol in a water bottle and she should go to it then she will know what its for.

Hope this helps
:wave:

i put some greens in there to help her poo and she nibbled them straight away so i presume she has already tried some when she was in the wild.will grab a water bottle to try.and should she have some hay or is that not important??

i put some greens in there to help her poo and she nibbled them straight away so i presume she has already tried some when she was in the wild.will grab a water bottle to try.and should she have some hay or is that not important??

Hay is very very important, she should have hay all the time :D

I wean babies onto greens at around 4/5 weeks offering them very small quantities of a different type every couple of days.....keep an eye on anything that appears to upset hos tummy (soft stools) and dont feed it again.

how come you got a wildie?
sorry i havnt been following your posts :oops: interested though!
well hay is a number one prority, then grass, then a very small amount of pellets and then carrots, apples stuff like that.
in fact my vets gave me a really good food guide, I'll scan it into my pc and send it to you if you want!

:wave: I have always given my baby wild bunniers pellets, hay and greens from as soon as I have got them and they have been fine - they especially seem to like spring green and cabbage but I give thme a mixture. Re: the water bowl just leave it there and he/she will work it out.

how come you got a wildie?
sorry i havnt been following your posts :oops: interested though!
well hay is a number one prority, then grass, then a very small amount of pellets and then carrots, apples stuff like that.
in fact my vets gave me a really good food guide, I'll scan it into my pc and send it to you if you want!

we found her in the middle of the road with cars just driving over her.decided to stop and help,took her to the vet etc.shes very bony and we are trying to get her back to health.she comes to me straight away now when i go to the cage.and when i hold her she snuggles up under my chin(with her lice things jumping off onto me)!!!!!
and the food thing would be great,thank you

ive put a water bottle in her cage now and she is not very interested in milk any more so i presume she is using the water bottle.the water has gone down but ive not seen her drinking from it so should i just stop the milk feeds now???

Back