• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Simethicone Question

Jenk

Young Bun
Does anyone here have working knowledge of giving when Simethicone can and cannot be given? I'd like to know if it's possible to give Simethicone for gas build-up, even if it's due to mucoid enteritis? Or should Simethicone not be given in the case of mucoid enteritis because it can cause an even greater (bacterial) imbalance in the intestines?

My bunny, Zoe, (far as we know) has mucoid enteritis. Right now, she's feeling more bloated (again), which could possibly be from pellets and her body not digesting them properly. (I've cut out her pellets just over 24 hours ago and want to keep her comfy--and eating--until she can get back to the vet.)

From what I have been told Simethicone (Infacol) is a very stable and safe medication which can be given in conjunction with any other medication.

I have been using a dose of 0.5mls every four hours on Caspian who has a gas build-up along with stomach rubs. It has no anti-biotic properties that I know of so should not affect the stomach flora, I believe it works by breaking down the gas.

I am going to try Caspian with some stomach acid stabiliser if he is still gurgling tomorrow in conjunction with the Infacol....like your bunny he is well in himself and showing no signs of pain.

I forgot to ask:

1) How much Simethicone can/should be given to a young (10-week-old) bun? (I bought the baby formula, which is 20 mg. Need it be diluted?)

2) I could only find baby formulas with a good number of inactive ingredients besides the Simethicone. Is this okay? (If there's a 100% Simethicone version available (in the U.S.)--though I doubt it--I'm all ears.)

Thanks,

0.5mls every four hours and with food.

UK Infacol contains:

Simeticone (new name for simethicone) 40mg/ml anti-flatulant

Inactive Ingrediants:
Saccharin Sodium (sweetner)
Hypromellose
Orange flavouring
Methy Hydroxybenzoate (E218)
Propyl Hydroxybenzoate (E216)
Purified water

Some useful information from the leaflet:

You should use this product for several days to achieve best results as treatment with infacol shows progressive effects.

Simeticone in Infacol is inert. It is not absorbed into the body. It causes no known side-effects. An overdose is highly unlikely to cause any harm.

0.5mls every four hours and with food.

UK Infacol contains:

Simeticone (new name for simethicone) 40mg/ml anti-flatulant

Inactive Ingrediants:
Saccharin Sodium (sweetner)
Hypromellose
Orange flavouring
Methy Hydroxybenzoate (E218)
Propyl Hydroxybenzoate (E216)
Purified water

Some useful information from the leaflet:

You should use this product for several days to achieve best results as treatment with infacol shows progressive effects.

Simeticone in Infacol is inert. It is not absorbed into the body. It causes no known side-effects. An overdose is highly unlikely to cause any harm.

Your ingredients differ from mine. Being in the U.S., though, I didn't expect the same brands to be available. The one I bought doesn't contain fruit flavors or dyes, that much I remember (without grabbing the box just now). I'd assume that if it's designed for babies, though, it would still be okay for bunnies, yes?

I purposely bought a brand that doesn't contain sugar (at least I didn't recognize any forms of it on the label) because I understand that it can disrupt intestional flora even more. And with enteritis, Zoe doesn't need anymore woes than I may have already caused by feeding her pellets until recently. :(

My vets had never heard of it when I gave it to Boots just last week as he wasn't eating in the morning and they couldn't see him til 5.15 that afternoon so I gave it to him along with a syringe feed. He was actually eating by the time the vet appt came round but needless to say we still took him to what had caused it.
Anyway, I'm rambling! What I meant to say was I actually used Simethicone or Infacol, as its marketed here, for my eldest daughter when she was a baby. I believe it works by making the tiny air bubbles, that cause gripey pain, together into one big bubble of air that can then be easily passed as a burb, most commonly in a baby's case, or out the other end!
So I guess that must be what it does for buns etc too. :?

Sorry I've rambled alot! :oops:

Back