• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Advice needed!

isla

Mama Doe
I was at work on friday discussing weekend plans, and I was grumbleing that I'd not be getting a lie in on saturday as my bunnies had a vet appointment. This went on to a bunny dicussion between me and a girl I work with:

Her: I don't even know if my rabbit is still alive.
Me (shocked): Oh, why?
Her: Aint seen it in ages, keeps trying to attack me when I go near it.
Me: Is it male or female, and is it neutered?

She looks confused, says its female, and she didn't know bunnies could have that opperation. The conversation continues:

Her: I have to buy it straw now, cuz it kept eating all its hay.
Me: They are suppost to eat hay, most of their daily food is suppost to be hay, like 85% or something.
Her: But its suppost to keep her warm at night though.
Me: You could put in (the hutch) enough for both.

She says thats too expencive, I ask what type of rabbit it is she says she doesn't know, and says its black and white, it has a white ear with a black spot on, and is 2. She tells me it was really cute when it was a baby and that she got it out everyday.

And now she doesn't even know if its alive.

So I was thinking, do I offer help and advise, and if so what should I say about it? Or should I just say that I'll take it on if she really is that bored of the poor thing? Or should I just ignore it, as I'm sure there are loads of other bunnies out there, and I don't want to offend this girl as I work with her?

Last edited:
That is shocking :shock: :shock:
Do not just leave it at this!
If i were you i would offer to take the bun off her hands, the poor wee thing proberly only gets hay to eat if she doesnt know if its still alive!! i would do something, some people are so brain dead!!:evil: xx

Sounds like you are the answer to that poor bunny's prayers - you might be her only hope so I would offer to take her on if this girl's not interested any more - what she's doing is reportable to the RSPCA as it's cruelty, simple as that.

the poor wee thing proberly only gets hay to eat if she doesnt know if its still alive!!

No it doesn't get hay to eat as she refuses to buy hay, because the rabbit keeps eating it, and owner doesn't want the rabbit to eat the hay! She very brain dead!

if you want to help, but don't want to offend her, just say that you have a friend who is looking for a new bunny, and would she like them to have it? or something along those lines...
as for advice, tell her that you can buy a huge bale of hay from a farm for £2.50-£3.00 and that would last her weeks!
however, from what she has said - that poor rabbit deserves a better life than this and needs to get out... :cry:

Sounds like you are the answer to that poor bunny's prayers - you might be her only hope so I would offer to take her on if this girl's not interested any more - what she's doing is reportable to the RSPCA as it's cruelty, simple as that.

I thought about the RSPCA but I'm not sure its seriouse enough, she has said the rabbit is fed on rabbit food apples and carrots, and as she buys straw I assume she is cleaning it out. I'd assume that it is given water too.

I'd offer to take it on, even if you can't keep it, someone on here may able to fit it in. Certainly sounds like she needs to be gotten out of these ASAP!
If you don't want to get involved then please at least report it to the RSPCA as it's being neglected. If it's not checked on daily then it could be left to die in pain - something like flystrike will cause a slow, painful death and although the cold weather should reduce the chance of flystrike now, there are plenty of other illnesses which cause very unpleasant deaths.

I'd offer to take it on, even if you can't keep it, someone on here may able to fit it in. Certainly sounds like she needs to be gotten out of these ASAP!
If you don't want to get involved then please at least report it to the RSPCA as it's being neglected. If it's not checked on daily then it could be left to die in pain - something like flystrike will cause a slow, painful death and although the cold weather should reduce the chance of flystrike now, there are plenty of other illnesses which cause very unpleasant deaths.

Yeah, your right, I cant just leave it. I dont even like the girl, so if shes offender by it all then I just dont talk to her at work. I could offer her money for the bunny. I really dread to think what state it'll be in. Hopefully its not too bad, and has a nice big hutch.

I think that the girl live with her parents, maybe its being cared for by them.

Sounds like she thought she was being smart. You appeared to be moaning about your rabbit getting you up and so she went one better by saying she didn't know if it was alive or not. Hopefully she was exagerating :shock: :shock:

Isla can i suggest you say something like "Last week you mentioned how you were having problems with your bunny being aggressive. Would you like me to pop round and give it a health check"

Hopefully this will re-open conversation and you will be able to give her further advice or even offer it a home if she cannot afford proper nutrition. Sounds like you already gave brilliant advice on rabbit care and so she may have already decided hay is essential after all. :D

You could always casually say "Oh, I remember you saying about your rabbit the other day, a friend of mine was looking for a rabbit so I wondered if you wanted to rehome yours since you're not getting along with her that well?"

what really really surprises me with this world is females with no empathy for a fellow living being..... i really feel that as women and men are made different the bloodthirst felt by them is something in the genes... but women not caring scares the hell put of me that this world just aint right :( i hope you manage to help this bun even if its just to kick start some :censored: :censored: feeling of love in this evil creature you work with

oooh that's a point - if you don't get the hutch too she'll just get another baby bunny :? So offer to buy the hutch, and rabbit if she's not bothered about keeping her - the hutch will be in a right state though I imagine so don't pay much :shock:

:shock: Oh thats awful :( :( I'd ask her straight please let me have the bunny and let me give her a good home.
When I got the bun home safe and sound and then I'd give her a right piece of my mind! I'd wipe the bloomin floor with her I really would :evil:

Sounds like she thought she was being smart. You appeared to be moaning about your rabbit getting you up and so she went one better by saying she didn't know if it was alive or not. Hopefully she was exagerating :shock: :shock:

Isla can i suggest you say something like "Last week you mentioned how you were having problems with your bunny being aggressive. Would you like me to pop round and give it a health check"

Hopefully this will re-open conversation and you will be able to give her further advice or even offer it a home if she cannot afford proper nutrition. Sounds like you already gave brilliant advice on rabbit care and so she may have already decided hay is essential after all. :D

Hehehe I was moaning a bit, only because I knew I was going to the pub on friday night, and I have a tiny hangover, I don't like to get up when I'm hung over. But the bunnies come first!

Yeah, I think I'll say something like 'hows your crazy bunny? is it still attacking you?' I'll try to keep it light and friendly. And try to hint that I'd take it on if she wanted to get rid of it.

what really really surprises me with this world is females with no empathy for a fellow living being..... i really feel that as women and men are made different the bloodthirst felt by them is something in the genes... but women not caring scares the hell put of me that this world just aint right :( i hope you manage to help this bun even if its just to kick start some :censored: :censored: feeling of love in this evil creature you work with

Do you want to know the worst of it?

We are nursery nurses. Our job is to care and look after other peoples babies. Who would want someone that could treat an animal like that looking after their child?

We are nursery nurses. Our job is to care and look after other peoples babies. Who would want someone that could treat an animal like that looking after their child?

:shock: :shock:

If your in a position to take the bun on, I'd do it. Poor thing!

:shock: :shock:

If your in a position to take the bun on, I'd do it. Poor thing!

I'm going to try and speak to her on monday maybe. I'll not be working with her this week, which makes things hard, as I might not be able to speak to her.

I was actuall thinking about adding another bun to my 2, but really wasn't thinking about doing it this side of christmas, but I have the space, time and money.

I've not even been there a month and I'm already on a rescue mission!:rolleyes:

that is very scary :cry:

No it doesn't get hay to eat as she refuses to buy hay, because the rabbit keeps eating it, and owner doesn't want the rabbit to eat the hay! She very brain dead!

Get that rabbit of her if you can :shock: :shock: :cry: :cry:
And weldone :D xx

Back