• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Nicole PM'd Me This- Re The Girlie Boblets

<<Males are affected 4-5 times more often than females.>>

What does this mean for the boy boblets, Jane? Could it be that as we'd expect them to be more likely to have it, but aren't showing symptoms, this is a good sign? I really hope so Jane, u deserve a turn up in luck!

Must be of some comfort to know it was genetic, and you truly did do all you could.

Still thinking of u xx

Thanks for posting that link Jane, atleast now my brain can understand what happened to your beautiful babies, though ofcourse that doesn`t make it any less sad:cry:

It sounds very similar to what was wrong with one of our cats, `Flump`, when he was younger. He had major abdominal surgery but fortunately has been fine since.

Su.x

OMG :shock: I know I'm paranoid but after reading the note at the bottom of that article about the possibility of mycotoxins in hay, I'm worried now in case that's what caused Brodys recent gut blockage problem :shock:

OMG :shock: I know I'm paranoid but after reading the note at the bottom of that article about the possibility of mycotoxins in hay, I'm worried now in case that's what caused Brodys recent gut blockage problem :shock:

It is quite difficult to find hay without mould in it after this damp summer, too. You are not paranoid, I had mycology at uni and some mould can be really nasty. I threw away some hay that didn't smell right because of that. You can also get mould (and pesticides) on vegetables, so make sure to check and wash them.

I freaked when I read that bit too :shock:
But all my Buns have the same feed. *So far* No-Bun else has become sick

I sniff all hay before serving it :)oops: )
Can mycotoxins be odourless/invisible :? :shock: :cry:

Janex

It is quite difficult to find hay without mould in it after this damp summer, too. You are not paranoid, I had mycology at uni and some mould can be really nasty. I threw away some hay that didn't smell right because of that. You can also get mould (and pesticides) on vegetables, so make sure to check and wash them.
:shock: :shock: :shock: didn't realise that about the veggies as well :shock: when you say check, what are you checking for? e.g. I always discard any leaves that are going yellow

:shock: :shock: :shock: didn't realise that about the veggies as well :shock: when you say check, what are you checking for? e.g. I always discard any leaves that are going yellow

Yes, that is a good start. You can see some mould, as it produces a velvety white fluff, e.g. on strawberries or on the top end of carrots. Kale should be thrown away as soon as it starts to smell (bacteria cause that rotting, I think). Spring greens can have mould at the bottom of the leaves first, so cut those off. The dangerous thing about mould is that the toxins go into the tissue of the plant or into the bread, so just removing the visible part of the mould won't remove the toxins. The mycelium ("roots") of the mould sometimes go deep into the tissue and what you really see are just the bits that produce the spores. Not every mould produces toxins, some are worse than others. There is one mould that infects grass seeds, it's called ergot in English. It produces a very strong toxin. There's a thing about it on Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ergot

Then again, I would not panic, because I am sure that wild rabbits do eat mouldy plants, too, especially in winter.

Oh how awful :(

At least it gives a better understanding of how this terrible tragedy happened. Is there anything your vet can do for the boy boblets Jane? Any tests etc...

Oh how awful :(

At least it gives a better understanding of how this terrible tragedy happened. Is there anything your vet can do for the boy boblets Jane? Any tests etc...

I am going to ask Christobel to speak with Bristol Rabbit Clinic on Monday.

Janex

Back