• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Should I get a Rabbit? Honestly Please?

Mrs.Clooney

Young Bun
Over the summer holidays my neighbour asked if I would care for their 2 rabbits whilst they went on holiday for 10 days. As an animal lover I heartily agreed as I have mulled over getting a rabbit for my 2 girls. I thought it would be a good way of seeing how much & what was involved in caring for rabbits.

The 10 days saw the survival of the rabbits. If anything I probably over cared for them as their daughter was concerned about their welfare. My 4 year old loved helping me feed and clean their hutches.

I have a friend about 2 hours away who has a gorgeous black rabbit needing a good home. My 13year old swears she will care for him but ......... we have a boisterous golden retriever who chases cats and wild rabbits. Barking is his favourite pass time and I don't want the rabbit to die from heart failure.

I don't think our cat is a problem. I took her next door to meet the rabbits and she ran away:lol: . What do you all think?

I don't agree with children owning pets as such. Even at 13 I believe that really it comes down to the parents responsibility to make sure the animals needs are being met. If you would be happy to love and care for this rabbit as it should be once your daughter has a) got bored b) gone to uni etc etc then thats fine but if not then you should reconsider. Rabbits can live 10-14 years now if properly cared for.

As for the dog, my dog chases cats but not my own rabbits. Although it was difficult I have trained her not to chase them. My dog is fine with my rabbits. However I NEVER leave the two unattended. Can you provide the rabbit with the necessary accomodation and space it deserves? Can you afford vet bills? Emergency call out last sat cost me £80... and that was before treatment.

I am not looking to put you off, I have 8 rabbits of my own I adore and would not part with them if my life depended on it, but anyone who has them will tell you they are hard work ; mentally, physically and financially and those needs must be met.

Why don't you continue reading this forum to find out more and more about them before making the final decision.... ;)

We have a dog and the barking doesn't bother our rabbit, if they are in the garden together, i keep the dog on a lead or keep the dog indoors while Tallulah is in the garden, they sniff each other through the hutch. Don't bank on your daughter looking after the rabbit, my kids said they would but it's only me that looks after her now! :roll: :)

I think if YOU enjoyed caring for the bunnies then YOU should have a rabbit, and let your girls help out ;) Rabbits can live 10 years or more, and children grow up, lose interest and leave home, so it has to be something you are prepared to take on yourself :)

Thank you for your reply Lea-Anne, and let me assure you that financial care for the rabbit is not a problem.

I grew up helping to care for our pets as children. We had numerous cats, dogs and 2 guinea pigs. We (the children) were responsible for feeding, cleaning and bringing them in at night and tucking them to bed. Both my husband and I have instilled these same values into our children. My 4 year old is still quite young but my 13 year old walks the dog, picks up his poos and feeds both cat and dog in the evenings.

Personally I don't have a problem with children owning pets as long as they can demonstrate responsibility with correct parental supervision.

Just to clarify, my actual concern is whether or not our dog and a rabbit can live happily together?

Do you know what temperament the rabbit is? Unless it's particularly nervous then a dog isn't an issue providing you can keep the two animals seperate. That's obvious important 24/7, one accident is all it takes.

That aside, I'm sure your daughter is lovely and means what she says but a 13 year old wouldn't be able to grasp the full concept of what the responsibility will entail. We're talking about a commitment that could last nearly as long as you've had your daughter! There is a very real possibility that at some point you're going to become the sole carer so unless you want a bunny too it's probably not a good idea.

There are a lot of adults that enjoy having bunnies though so if it's something you'd be okay with it could be a good thing for your daughter and you do do together :)

Alternately, rescues use foster carers which is like what you did - caring for a bunny temporarily for a few weeks/months. They also cover costs so you get the fun of having a rabbit without quite as much permanent commitment.

Make sure you meet the bunny and see what it's like too. Rabbits have different personalities and you probably don't want to start with one with behaviour issues as your first bunny.

Tamsin

I think it would depend on the temprement of the rabbit. some get much more easily scared by dogs - or cats - than others. and based on what you said, I'd be wary of letting the dog near the bunny. If the dog chases wild ones - or things that move - he might be tempted to try and get in at any rabbit? ^^;

In regards to children, I think that people are just trying to make the point that ultimately, care of the rabbit may well fall to you at some point. Many rabbits seem to turn up on places like freeads, or in neglect stories, where they were bought as a present for a child and were then ignored. It doesn't in all honesty sound like this would be the case with your daughter. I got my first bunny at 13, and was prepared to do anything and everything for her, too.

I think it would depend on the temprement of the rabbit. some get much more easily scared by dogs - or cats - than others. and based on what you said, I'd be wary of letting the dog near the bunny. If the dog chases wild ones - or things that move - he might be tempted to try and get in at any rabbit? ^^;

In regards to children, I think that people are just trying to make the point that ultimately, care of the rabbit may well fall to you at some point. Many rabbits seem to turn up on places like freeads, or in neglect stories, where they were bought as a present for a child and were then ignored. It doesn't in all honesty sound like this would be the case with your daughter. I got my first bunny at 13, and was prepared to do anything and everything for her, too.

I assure you, that my daughter is a responsible 13 yr old.

Yes, I have met the rabbit and cuddled him. He is an ex show rabbit. Apparently he has won prizes. He was very friendly and sat on my lap for ages enjoying being cuddled. The current owners have a very docile labrador and the two live in perfect harmony. My nutty retriever is 6 years old going on 2 and is very exhuberant. I would take him to meet the rabbit first before making a commitment.

i agree with everyone else on here but if I had said I was 16, which I am, everyone would say it's too young, but I love the responsibility so it depends on the personalility of the youngster.

It's not that we think your 13 year old isn't irresponsible it's that over the next few years lots of things will probably happen in her life that will have an influence on her time. For example do you think your daughter will be going to university? If so then she won't be able to take a rabbit with her. You'll be responsible for it during term time. If you're not willing to do that then getting a rabbit isn't a good idea.

School trips, holidays with her friends, exam revision, after school clubs, a saturday job, college etc. all start taking up time when you're a teenager :D

It may be you're perfectly happy to take responsibility at the times she can't but some parents are not :(

My 4 year old is still quite young but my 13 year old walks the dog, picks up his poos and feeds both cat and dog in the evenings.

Nobody's saying that your daughter will definitely lose interest - they're just saying that you need to be sure that if she does lose interest, you would be happy to take full responsibility.

Just my input on the dog side of things. Yes, it does very much depend on the temperament of the bunny, but how you introduce the two makes a massive difference. While I would never leave a dog alone with a rabbit, my two bunnies get on really well with my dogs. It took about a week of very slow, supervised introductions between the dogs and my 'first' bunny Tank before I allowed either bunny to hop around without being held by me or keeping my dogs in the down position. How well trained is your dog and how likely is he to listen to your commands in this sort of situation? Both of my dogs have a high prey drive and my bulldog, in particular, would kill anything she caught, and yet she's so bored of the rabbits now she doesn't even bother to open her eyes when they climb over her.

Even so, I would suggest you never leave the dog and rabbit alone together, even for five minutes (to protect the dog as much as the rabbit) :)

:wave: I live in an annex of a farm house with a crazy springer manic dog next door who goes nuts when she sees my rabbits and my rabbits are fine. They get a little buit skittish sometimes if she overdoes it but nothing too serious and like other people said if you introduce them properly etc am sure she will get bored of the rabbit so I think you should go for it. :)

It's not that we think your 13 year old isn't irresponsible it's that over the next few years lots of things will probably happen in her life that will have an influence on her time. For example do you think your daughter will be going to university? If so then she won't be able to take a rabbit with her. You'll be responsible for it during term time. If you're not willing to do that then getting a rabbit isn't a good idea.

Thats what I was trying to say Tamsin :lol: . People/situations/circumstances change. ;)

I fell into Rabbits much the same as you. I fostered a rabbit for somebody that was in temporary accomodation. Her kids had lost interest so i kept their rabbit :D

She was a lonely rabbit all by herself in a small hutch. Now she has been vaccinated, spayed and lives with her boyfriend Ben that came from local rescue. I love giving them a nice home with space to run around and fresh veg each day. So if you can offer decent size hutch and a run for excercise go for it!!!!

Personally, I think if you're going to have one rabbit, you should really have two.

A rabbit on its own will be lonely if it lives outside and as much as you may interact and play with it, it's not the same as another bunny.

If I were you, I'd probably start off by fostering, or if I was certain, I'd get a bonded pair from a rescue centre.

If you have your heart set on your friend's rabbit, I'd be prepared to have a few unsettled(and probably expensive) months while you get him neutered and find him a girlfriend.

i know rabbits are prey animals... but im pretty sure when the rabbit settled in its the poor dog id be feeling sorry for.... id not leave ralph and alvin alone for long because my poor puppy would end up the loser.....lolololol

i dont think anything scares this bun and when he starts grooming ralph the dog cant wait to escape and looks to me to say mum the bunnys bein mean again... dogs are amazing at not attacking family even if they chase non related animals

I think two buns would be better bcus they will be happier, but as for the dog side of things, my first rabbit jelly i got on impulse and my dad was like 'the dog will go nuts' within a few days he left her alone and within 2 weeks he didnt notice her anymore.

As for your daughter, im one of those people that believe children can look after rabbits if the adult is responsible. personally, i dont think thirteen is too young, i think as long as you supervise etc (which it sound slike you will). I dont think age is a factor tbh, i got my dog when i was 8 years old, and im nineteen npw and she is still the most important thing in the world to me...its about maturity and state of mind, and i believe as long as YOU want the rabbit....then its okay :):):):):)

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

http://www.greenfieldsrescue.co.uk/rabbits.asp This is an excellent site for information about rabbits with some information which is worth thinking about prior to owning rabbits.

I would agree with the idea about thinking about your daughters future, whilst she may now be interested and happy to care for a rabbit, however looking at 5 years into the future, her ability due to university and work committments may alter things. I have a son who is now 14, 2 years ago he adopted a pair of guinea pigs. He will definately move away when he is 18 and his piggies are 6 years old, which will mean that I will have to take on the responsibility of caring for them myself. For me I am happy to do this.

From my own involvement in small animal rescue, I know of many small animals who are handed over to rescues to be rehomed once their teenage owners leave home. I am not suggesting that this will be the case with your daughter, however this aspact should be considered when thinking of taking on any animal for any youngster.

You have obviously put a lot of thought into whether or not you should get a rabbit, and from what you have said, I think a bunny would be very lucky having a family like yours to care for him/her.

I got my first rabbit at 13 years old, and my mum helped me out in taking care for "Toffee", my bunny. When she needed vet treatment, then my parents paid the bills, and were happy to do so. I had "Toffee" for 6 years, before we sadly lost her to illness, however, the "novely" never wore off, and neither did my ability to care for her. We were all distrought when "Toffee" died. She was a gorgeous dark brown lop with attitude! We had a wonderful black Labrador "Major" at the time, and there were no problems whatsoever.

I've now got 5 rabbits, a Chocolate Labrador and 5 cats, and again, there's absolutely no problem! Toby my Lab is a young "nutter" and barks and anything that moves, but the rabbits are so used to him, they just ignore it!

Good luck! Hope everything goes well.

Carol xx

Back