• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Caspian has bloat AGAIN :( UD back to square one.

Sooz

Wise Old Thumper
His poor little tummy is making the most horrendous noises. Its slightly bloated but no where near as bad as last time....he has just had some tummy rubs and infacol, no metacam as he is showing no signs of pain and happily throwing a toilet roll tube about.

I think I should cut out his veggies for a bit....he wasnt fed well before we got him so I wonder if his new diet is too rich for his tummy? He is still very skinny.

Last edited:
You're probably right Sooz - if there's any tummy probs it's a good idea to cut veg, especially carrots as the sugars feed 'bad bacteria' - and give a probiotic - If you don't know their genetic history it might just be one of those weaknesses they sometimes inherit :(

He has been having Pro-C in his water since he arrived as has Izzy. There were quite a few uneaten ceacals this morning too :?

Its strange because it isnt 'full bloat'....its almost as if if he had a good old trump :shock: he would be OK :lol:

He has been having Pro-C in his water since he arrived as has Izzy. There were quite a few uneaten ceacals this morning too :?

Its strange because it isnt 'full bloat'....its almost as if if he had a good old trump :shock: he would be OK :lol:

Yes, Smokey gets like that sometimes when she has pigged out on grass more than she should.

Lots of vibes for Caspian

FC

Ok, I started Caspian on panacur the day he arrived but after two days when he had a bad tummy I stopped worried it could be aggravating him.

I know some people have experience of EC causing bloat so do you think I should start him on the course again incase he has EC or wait until his gut settles (if it settles :? )?

Is it bloat as in a gas distended stomach or is it gas in his small intestines secondary to reduced GI motility?

Janex

I've personally never had any problems with Panacur causing the problems, and only improving gut function, but my vet did mention that Panacur could interfere with gut flora. I guess all you can do is try it, and maybe some Fibreplex too?

Aww bless him.

He's probably just not used to eating a proper diet.:roll:

I'm suprised all the buns weren't in stasis when they arrived, after all they had to eat there was a bit of excel and straw!!

Ive just been to check on Caspian.....he is really bad today :cry:

This is the first time he has gone ff his food. He is still toileting but his tummy is very distended again. Given him Metacam, Infacol and PH balancer please can i have some vibes for my beautiful boy :cry:

Awww poor lad :( Did you give him a course of panacur in the end? Worms can cause these symptoms as well as e-c, so maybe he needs worming? Hope he'll be OK :(

No I hadnt started the Panacur again....he had been good for the last few days as long as all his pellets were laced with Infacol.

I will get this bloat down today and then start him again I think.

If he hasn't had the Panacur (so you know the Panacur itself isn't the cause of the problem), I would start it straight away. I've had some miraculous effects with Panacur. :)

Back