• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunny heating?

bunny babe

Wise Old Thumper
:wave: My buns live in a wendy house with run attached and as we are having warnings about a very cold winter I want to try and get prepared and have been looking at "heaters" to go in there.

I obviously don't want one that "heats" it just one that keeps the temp above freezing e.g. something like a greenhouse heater. I have seen tubular ones, does anyone have this type of thing for their precious little ones. Is it a good idea or should I not have anything?

It's not something I've tried, I used lagging jackets on the hutches last year, but they are in sheds now, so will just use extra straw and clear plastic covers to keep out the cold wind and rain during the day.
Green house heaters are sometimes smelly, so I wouldn't consider anything that needs parrafin. The alternative ( tube ) types are generally mains run, so not sure if you have a mains supply out to the wendy house? If so then it's maybe just a case of making sure there's nothing they can get to that they can chew. Most bunnies are pretty good at coping with the cold, it's the heat they can't deal with in the summer.:D

your joking its going to get even colder this winter? :shock:
just a couple of days ago here it was so cold i wore THREE jumpers!
noooo!
I want summer back!
I guess what I'll do is more hay and an old jumper for Midnight to snuggle up with.

Have you tried a snugglesafe, they keep warm for a good 10 hours (plenty for overnight), I pop them in for our winter boarders with some extra hay or vet bed and they have always been fine.

Thanks, I currently give them a fleece bed (or 2) and hay to sleep on in the winter but was worried that it might be even more severe this winter. I did buy a couple of years ago an electric pad thing but was worried about the wires getting nibbled through so never used it. I might try the snuggle safe idea. I do have electric into the wendy house already with a light so my Father in law (an electrician) could put a socket in there for the tube thing and up out the way so no little uns could chew!!:D

If there is room in the playhouse for a wooden box( even one of those small so-called "rabbit hutches" from P@H) you could put their bed in that with loads of hay and that will keep them really snug even on the coldest night esp as they have each other to snuggle against. Don't start insulating them too soon as you want their coats to build up.

We are going to line their playhouse with cardboard,lots of vetbed fleece and a couple of snuggle safes they'll be fine hopefully..

I'm intrested in the tube heater thing. My lot are in a playhouse and it'd be good for them to have something like that, just to take the chill off when it minus whatever.

Where do you get them from?

I'm intrested in the tube heater thing. My lot are in a playhouse and it'd be good for them to have something like that, just to take the chill off when it minus whatever.

Where do you get them from?

I've been looking for the same sort of thing as it doesn't matter how much bedding I put in they tend not to lie on it and sit hunched up in the middle of the floor freezing!
I've tried lovely plush pro-fleece vet bed stuff and they just screw it up in the corner.
I've got a snugglesafe which comes in handy if we have a poorly bun, but I think it might be cheaper to buy 3 more of those than install the greenhouse heating.:?

My lot have a shelf that they insist on sleeping on, even though they have lots of bedding underneath :roll: . At least they're out of the draft!

:wave: I did see them on the Argos website and if you type in tubular heater on the net it will come up with some options. You appear to be able to buy different sizes and they are not that expensive. I would prob only use it on the very cold nights.

I don't think heating is necessary, especially in a playhouse which offers more shelter from the elements than a hutch. So long as there are no draughts & somewhere to snuggle with plenty of hay they will be fine. Can you shut off the run at night?

Mike

i have greenhouse heaters in both my playhouses but to be honest they are not used.Last winter i didnt use them at all as they cope fine by snuggling up together and i put in loads of hay for them.If anything i might use the snugglesafe but in a playhouse they are fine its draught that is bad for them

Back