• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Big enough for 2?

I have a lionhead and was wondering if his hutch is big enough for a friend for him. :? It is about the same size as a Thistle from P&H but it was hand made by a carpenter for me. He has full use of rabbit proofed garden when I am there and I am in the middle of attaching his new run (6 foot long) to his hutch so he can go out during the day while I am at work (is this safe to do?)

I was thinking of getting another lionhead or a dwarf lop.

Also does anyone know at what age he will stop growing and if he will get much bigger than he is now at 5 months old?

He probably will grow a little bit more, my 2 year old lionhead weighs 1.75kg just to give you an idea.

That hutch and run sounds fine for 2 bunnies.

It's up to you if you think it's safe for your bunny to be out in the run. As long as a fox proof mesh is used and the run is not on grass and is weighted down it should be fine.

Nicola

Glad to know its big enough.

The run has a roof and is metal so nothing can get in or out and Flopsy will gain access down a covered in tunnel I have made him which is wood top and bottom with struts down the side covered with mesh.

Only thing that worries me is why can't it be on the garden:oops:

The grass is the only place I could put it as the patio is too far away.

P.S. The garden is Flopsy proofed as he gets out supervised on a weekend to go wild.

The run has a roof and is metal so nothing can get in or out and Flopsy will gain access down a covered in tunnel I have made him which is wood top and bottom with struts down the side covered with mesh.

P.S. The garden is Flopsy proofed as he gets out supervised on a weekend to go wild.

if it is permanently on grass, your bun could dig out or a fox could dig in!

If the hutch is on grass, the rabbits can burrow out particuarly when the weather is wettish and the ground soft which makes it easier and quicker to get out. If they could possibly burrow out, a fox could burrow in :cry:

Thanks never thought of that. He has free fun of garden, supervised at minute while finishing the run, and I have never seen him dig:shock:

Well I guess I will just use run when I am in so I can keep checking on him. I was just thinking he could go out during the day when I am at work as it will soon get dark before I get in and then what will I do? I am always in for 4pm but before long it will be dark before then and I work on the other side of town so can't get home during dinner.

If the little man would let me handle him I have no problems bringing him into the house at night for a run around but he just won't have it.

He loves a nose rub, cheeks rubbed and stroked all over, will take food from my hand but as soon as I try to pick him up he is off:cry:

Sorry for long post but do you think i should still keep trying to handle him - I have left it for a couple of weeks without trying.

Hiya,

You can lay mesh over/under the grass to prevent digging :) That way it's safe and secure when you're out. I think it's nice for them to have permanent access to a run as they are often most active early and late.

Lots of bunnies don't like being picked up, there are tips on getting you bun used to it here: http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk/care/handling.asp

You might find he'd get along well with a cat carrier he can hop into himself. Pop something yummy in for him to eat and he should get used to going between the house and garden. Having him inside will also give you more opportunity to interact with him now it's getting wetter and darker :)

Tam

Could you put mesh under the run? Another trick is to put a row of slabs immediatly around the outside of the run which helps to prevent foxes digging in, this also stops them lifting up the run and removing the contents!

Could you get your bun use to jumping into a pet carrier for transportation anywhere, so you could bring him indoors in that?

Thanks for advice - think I will try his pet carrier and try to bribe him into this. Will also try handling a bit more once he has been neutered.

Back