• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

absolutely disgusted with a local vet ....

bunnyrun

Mama Doe
today i got asked to take in a stray bunny from a local vet, he,s been with them 6 weeks, when i got there they brought him out and he,s in a complete mess :shock: :cry: one of his eyes is completey sunken into his head, it looks like it needs removing, all pussy aswell, his teeth are very bad aswell, and his other eye is very wet, apparently he,s had treatment :evil: he is in such a state bless him, he,s being seen by my vet tomorrow, but i cant believe a vet can let a bunny suffer like this, i dont believe he,s had any treatment at all :cry: my husband wanted me to take him back and demand that they treat him but if i did that they,d probably put him down,
im in total shock thatt his has happened and vets are supposed to relieve suffering :?
if i call the rspca do you think they could take action because of duty of care, surely whats happened is against the law ?

That's absolutely awful! How can a vet leave any animal in that state!

It's a good job she's come to you, hope your vet can sort her out. Lots of positive vibes on their way.

Vic x

omg poor bunny. when i was a kid i always had this idea that all vets were lovely people who adored animals and would do anything for them...its such a shame it isnt true.

i hope the bunny is going to be okay xxx

That is repulsive.

I would certainly call the RSPCA regarding duty of care, these people are professionals and money is changing hands for them to take care of peoples animals.....surely it shows gross neglect?

Is the vet part fo a chain? Can you contact the head office regarding their professional conduct?

Dunno if this'd help: http://www.rcvs.org.uk/Templates/Internal.asp?NodeID=89655 - lots of good info :)

Have known a thoroughly useless vet myself who was terrified of large dogs but didn't bother to let me know. My rott was booked in for his castration with her and she treated him appallingly. Hope it helps and little bunny gets better.

If you're gonna take this further, though, remember to take lots of photos of him (time-stamped or with today's newspper in shot) as evidence :)

Not sure if the RSPCA would be able to do anything now you'ver taken him (just going by what I've heard from public cases), but perhaps take photos of him now, get a statement from anyone who knows where he came from and get your own vet to do a thorough examination and report of the condition he's in and see what you can do :?

Isn't there a professional body that you can report a vet to, like you would if you had a problem with a gas fitter (Corgi) or an architect (RICS)?
I'm off to look.......

Yep - the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons - regulatory body.
I'd take photos and send all the details off to RCVS, and copy the vet in on your complaint:D

Last edited:
You should request from the vet a copy of all the medical records he has on this bun. Tell him you spoke to your vet, and they would like a copy of them. He could send them to YOUR vet if he insists, and you can get a copy from your vet. This will show you if he did indeed receive any medical care while he was there. If he didn't provide any medical are while he was there, I would say it is neglect to say the least. I do worry that in the future, he may not contact you for help knowing that you reported him for this one.

Back