• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Aclimatising a house bunny

Tank's_Mum

Warren Scout
Didn't have this problem with Tank as he was 'rescued' from P@H, but Saxon seems to be 'suffering' with being indoors. I know he'll get better in time as he gets used to it, but he was outside at the rescue and I'm guessing outside at the breeders he originally came from, so inside he's feeling really warm and panting lots. We've got the heating off and the window open (much to my bulldog's horror), but when he's out he does spend a lot of time behind the curtains by the patio window cooling off. When he's in his hutch he seems to be far too warm. Anything I should be overly worried about or any tips?

Thanks! x

My indoor bun doesn't really have much bedding in his cage (which is always open in his room) In fact, he doesn't have much bedding anywhere! He has a soft chair with a towel on where he tends to do much of his 'chilling' but when he sleeps (as in completely zonked!!) He does it in the bottom of his cage having knocked any of the sawdust out of the way so he's on the bare bottom. I'm obviously not an expert but I would think that in time, he will get used to it as his coat will moult and thin out. Charlie is constantly moulting!! Be prepared to use your vac!

Just as an afterthought - charlie has just a plain cardboard box with holes cut in where he often goes too - seems pretty cool there.

* Had to edit as I spelt moult wrong!!!! :oops:

Last edited:
Some people put a 2 litre bottle of frozen water wrapped in a towel in the bunny pen to help them cool off. Or a stone or marble slab to lie on as it stays cooler. Lots of water and regular brushing too to get out all the extra fur could help. If he has long hair, give him a haircut!

Back