• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Funny Rex-fur

ZakuraRabbit

Mama Doe
My rex buck Sasuke has started on a major molt. Never seen him molt like this before, though he does remind me of his mother and sister last year.
The think that bothers me however, is the fur underneath.
It's very thin, and feels funny, not as soft and silky as rex-fur usually is:?
Is that normal? Can I give him something for his fur?
He lives inside now so cold isn't much of a problem, but seeing as he has always been outside before (moved him in a few weeks ago when he got sore paws, which are now fully healed) could that be the reason why he molts so much more now than usuall?

My Molly has thinner fur than Milly has. Milly has proper dense rex fur, whereas Molly has thinner fur strands. I don't know what to suggest. I thought that my babies were crossed with an English to give their patterned coat and thin fur on Molly. And Molly does look like a English in rex-type fur.

Though its offtopic (but it's my post so I don't care) colour patterns often have nothing to do with deciding what breed a rabbit is, particularly with a rabbit like the rex since it is recognized in almost every colour, including english.;)

Back on topic. Anyone else have a suggestion?

Is it possible to have a double rex coat in rex rabbits like you can rats?
I'm sure someone told me that double rex rat coats moult out and in again. If that makes sense?!:?

yes i would think moving the bun in to a nice warm heated accomadtion would make a difference to being outside in the cold as he would of got his winter coat then youve brought somewhere warm and in order for him not to ova heat he would be getting back the summer coat its a natral response

My Zoe's fur is noticeably thinner than her sister's, Emma's, plush coat. Both are definitely Mini-Rexes, but they have entirely different coats.

I'm pretty sure he didn't have the winter coat yet when I moved him in as it was a long time ago, and no he's not doublerex like a rat. For the first I have never heard of that occuring in rabbits (at least I really hope that doesn't happen:shock: Besides doublerex rats mean they have a double set of rex-genes (which is dominant) but with rabbits, the rex-gene is recessive and require to be double only to show) and second he's turning 2 next year, I think I would have noticed it if he went bald.

I think I may have figured out what happened though. At another forum I got a suggestion that it may be only his undercoat, and that his fur has started shedding before the "winter coat" is fully ready, everything falls of at once, leaving nothing but a thin layer of coat.

For the first I have never heard of that occuring in rabbits (at least I really hope that doesn't happen:shock: Besides doublerex rats mean they have a double set of rex-genes (which is dominant) but with rabbits, the rex-gene is recessive and require to be double only to show) and second he's turning 2 next year, I think I would have noticed it if he went bald.

Okay, I wasnt sure if it occured in rabbits either and I didnt know rex rats went bald, my friends double rex rats certqainly dont. It was only a suggestion, 'thinking out loud':roll:

My rexs fur is a bit funny coloured - shes an otter rex (Lilac otter rex althugh this means diddley squat to me) really prone to mites though makes her look really scruffy. But moults in the same way scruffily its hard to know. Also gets bald paws and sore hocks. I thought they didnt have a double coat ie lack guard hairsand thats what makes them have that velvety coat

He's not bald, and not very scruffy (cept the fur that molts, which is obvious as he molts a lot)
His undercoat isn't very velvety, feels funny. :?

Just some pics to help you get the idea. Though you can't really see how the fur feels like.:roll:
P1010003-1.jpg

Guttenibingen.jpg

Ryterygg.jpg

Last edited:
Well seems most breeders I've talked to think it's nothing to worry about, I'll at least wait till he's finished moulting and see if his fur goes back to normal before freaking out:lol:

oh dear.... i thought dogs were bad moulting! do house bunnies lose hair like that too??? Ive not witnessed a bunny moulting yet

oh dear.... i thought dogs were bad moulting! do house bunnies lose hair like that too??? Ive not witnessed a bunny moulting yet

It's usually not that bad. But yeah, both Zakura and now Sasuke has had periods where it seems all their fur falls of at once:roll: When that happens they're worse than the dog:lol:
Zakurajenta.jpg

The school bunnies (Sasuke's mom and sister) had a major molt last year and they live inside, so yeah, house bunnies molt too, though maybe not as bad as outdoor bunnies do...Sasuke can tecnically be considered a house bunny as well though he has only lived inside for a few weeks yet.

ohhh goody cant wait for that joy then.... altho you cant see the carpet with the dogs hair so ill just continue to blame him... Alvins too angellic to be messy....:rolleyes:

Back