• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Shall I make Milly & Molly house bunnies?

LionheadLuver

Warren Veteran
Hi
Currently, I have two buns who are outdoor buns. They seem to like it ok except for some loud noises made from last week's strong wind. I was planning on having them spayed in November - January and I would have to have them inside during this recovery. As they seem startled by loud noises from wind, I'm really concerned about fireworks this autumn. Do you think these are enough reasons to make them house buns? I've never brought them inside before so I don't know if they like it or not. I spent a lot of money buying the hutch and run so to have it wasted would be a disappointment. I know I should have thought about this earlier than now but I was wondering if I should make them house buns and what I have to buy? What size cage do they need and should I let them free range around the house? How do I bunny-proof? What sort of exercise do they need? When it comes round to summer again, would it be ok for them to go back into their hutch and run? This way, it wouldn't be too wasted and they could enjoy some running around on the grass. For people who have house buns, do you prefer them in the house to them being outdoors and would you recommend it? Thanks.

mine didn't like being in the house but they were all quite old when I got them, so maybe that's why. Best housing indoors is a 48" dog crate with 2 levels, or 2 smaller ones joined end to end, depending on how much space you have :) Nicest thing is not having to go out in winter - what a lovely thought that is! :rolleyes:

well, you could just bring them in when it's noisy outside. But on fireworks special prosedures are needed, keep them in the hutch, but bring them inside and cover the hutch with a tea towel. Normally this is our method of coping and everyone is fine!
Personally I don't like the idea of all time house buns, I mean yes Midnight comes inside to watch telly with me on the odd rainy occasion, but a bunny lives naturally outside so they can dig and poop where they please! I think this is how bunnies should be! On the odd occasion is fine to let them inside, but not letting them out at least once a day seems like torture to even me!

Mine are indoors and i much prefer that. Nothing better than sitting on the sofa with a bunny by you watching tv! They are in a 42" dog crate when we are not home. Its not as big as it shounds, more higher than anything! You can put a shelf in to make it two levels.
I think you get a better relationship if they are inside, simpily because you see each other more!

I've just realised that we wouldn't be able to fit that sort of size cage into the house. If I let them have free range of the whole house for about 9-12 hours a day, can the size of the cage be reduced? I can only fit something of 26" wide, anything long and anything high. For 2 days a week, they would only be allowed out for about 3-4 hours.

Maybe you could get a pen that attached to the cage, so on the days you could only let them out for a few hours attach that. Then you can put it away when you need to. I rubbish with dimensions, so couldn't advise. The cage i've got is the smalliest the rescue would allow me to have. I've seen people of here who have ones that are three levels high but don't take up as much floor space. Maybe you could find one that size.

I brought them indoors, as they are too unstable with their health Since being indoors they have got so much tamer and they are absolutely lovely.

The down side is the mess!

To be honest I think it's a bit premature to think that they don't like it outdoors, they are only youngsters getting used to a new environment and new noises. No buns like fireworks so I would definitely suggest bringing them in over bonfire weekend, but on its own I wouldn't say it's a good enough reason. Of course if you want them to be housebunnies there is no reason not to either, but I definitely wouldn't say it's a necessity at the moment.

Yes, I would definitely recommend having them inside!! You see them more and they (as far as I am concerned) have a lot more personality and quirks when they are around you more! I have them in an open-concept area now...We have a huge storage closet with a linoleum floor, so we fashioned a gate from storage cubes and they live in there. (We tried baby gates, but Kokanee is really smart and although she can't hop them, she climbs up them:roll: and gets out).
Our house is pretty much bunny proofed. Bunny proofing is just ensuring cords are out of reach, and there is nothing valuable/toxic in reach. Make sure they can't get at plants and don't leave nice clothing on the ground (It's embarassing going to work with a chew mark in your shirt-as I am right now;) ) But we don't allow them free reign all day. This is mostly because we don't like poops all over! Kokanee is pretty much perfect with litter, but when left out all day (we've tried it) she poops all over for whatever reason?!?
*One suggestion for bunny proofing..You know how behind the tv there are hundreds of cords? It's pretty much impossible to hide all those cords and would be expensive to put plastic over them...So we just block off the area instead, so they can't get back there!
I would say as long as they are getting out for a couple of hours for excercise they would be fine in that cage. Also, I let mine out for half an hour while i get ready for work in the morning, so that gives them some extra time out!

i vote inside... its brilliant having a house bun, i can still watch corrie and the enders without thinkin oh no i gotta go outside to see Alvin.... i think id get bored of owning a rabbit if he was banished to a hutch in the garden... ive also read a few times house buns live longer than outside buns (less things to scare them)...i got my pen from pets at home and its individual panels rather than a set size.. so when we move i can add to the size, it packs in the car brilliantly for travel....the shape can be changed too, they aint very tall so i cover them with plastic netting...perfect

my 36" dog crate came today so ill have to learn hoe to build shelves....lol

I think i'll seriously think about having them as indoor buns as I think their personalities will really come through when they are inside. If I do bring them inside, what do I do? I mean, I can't just bring them into a warm house from freezing outside, so how do I accustom them to the change in temperature? Should I let them go up and down the stairs by themselves? Should I let them be allowed into every room? In some of the rooms, we wouldn't be able to get everything off the floor, so they could be banished from those rooms. Even if we started buying everything and bunny-proofing everything now, it'll still be until they are near their spay that they could be brought inside. Even when they are recovering from their spay, I still need to get a cage, bedding etc for them so why not make them permant house buns? Is there anything else I need to know, like not to put them in a draught, or direct sunlight? I was planning on having them in my room(there is actually no other room in the house! :rolleyes: ) and they'll be near a computer, tv, which all give off heat, so are these a problem? And should I allow them on beds and sofas, or is it dangerous if they fall off?

Last edited:
You can get them gradually used to it by bringing them in at night and keeping them out during the day.

Mine have the run of the kitchen, hallway and stairs, as the rest of the house isn't bunny proofed.

Back