• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Dog crate sizes..

Miloe's_Mum

Alpha Buck
Hi all,

I'm just about the purchase a dog crate from ebay and wondered if you could tell me which would be the best one for my baby English Lop (she's 8/9 week old and very small!)

She'll only be in it for about 4-5 weeks max and then will be bonded with my frenchie.

I'm torn between the 30" crate which measures:

76cm long
53cm wide
60cm height

and the 36" crate which measures:

91cm long
60cm width
71cm height

Any ideas or opinions would be greatly welcomed!

xx

I would go for the biggest one you can get, then it's always there should you need an emergency crate large enough to hold both of them. Just be aware that with most dog crates you have to block off the the first bottom couple of inches as the gaps at floor level are big enough for a small bunny to squeeze through.

this is my average size bunny in a 36" crate, to give an idea of size (mine were from prizepets but I guess they're similar?)

goodside.jpg

Brilliant - thanks for that Elve :D I did wonder what it would be like with a litter tray, house and bed in it......i dont suppose you have any more pics of it do you?

Thanks x

I'd say the bigger the better. The 42" and 48" ones are nice and roomy. Will she be shut away in the crate for any length of time ie overnight?

I'd say the bigger the better. The 42" and 48" ones are nice and roomy. Will she be shut away in the crate for any length of time ie overnight?

Yes she will - as her ears are so large at the moment she is having trouble running around without nicking them so i dont want to leaver her free range when i cant keep an eye on her :D

She is only just over palm size at the moment, and as i say will only be in it for a month or just over - after that, when she is bonded with Miloe they will have free range of the kitchen and hallway.

Do you think the 36" is too small? :? I'm not sure we could fit a bigger one in our kitchen..........it wouldnt be cruel would it to keep her in the 36" one? :(

Here's some pics of Molly in his 36 inch crate. He's a mini lop, so smaller than average, but definatly not bigger than a baby English lop I'd imagine, if that helps.

mollyd.gif

cratepic.jpg

Faline's in that second one too.

Last edited:
Yes she will - as her ears are so large at the moment she is having trouble running around without nicking them so i dont want to leaver her free range when i cant keep an eye on her :D

She is only just over palm size at the moment, and as i say will only be in it for a month or just over - after that, when she is bonded with Miloe they will have free range of the kitchen and hallway.

Do you think the 36" is too small? :? I'm not sure we could fit a bigger one in our kitchen..........it wouldnt be cruel would it to keep her in the 36" one? :(

I'm not saying it would be cruel. I have larger buns in crates so they need extra room.

Adding a shelf is a good idea.

If it's only for a short period then you don't want something huge like the 48" one if you've got nowhere to store it flat.

Sorry Nicola - i didnt mean you'd said it would be cruel, just wondered if it would be :D

We have one of those pens that we could attach to the front of the cage so she could have a hop about a bit and stretch her legs :D

Thanks Deelove for the photos, i'm sure she will be fine in hers after seeing your bun in his - is he an adult?

Thanks everyone x

It's ok :lol:

This is my 48" dog crate in my kitchen. It's a bit hard to judge the size and it has a pen attached to it that I pack away at night.

I think you can see Emily in the crate, she's a medium sized bun and weigh's 2.6kg, just so you can get an idea. So it's a case of sizing the crate to your bun, if that makes sense??:?
various120.jpg

If it helps with size, my 54kg rottweiler still likes using his 48" crate as his bed (although I'm thinking of modifying it for rabbits!) - he can comfortably stand up, lie down stretched out and so forth. Can try to find a picture if that'd help :)

If it helps with size, my 54kg rottweiler still likes using his 48" crate as his bed (although I'm thinking of modifying it for rabbits!) - he can comfortably stand up, lie down stretched out and so forth. Can try to find a picture if that'd help :)

Oooh yes please :D

It's ok :lol:

This is my 48" dog crate in my kitchen. It's a bit hard to judge the size and it has a pen attached to it that I pack away at night.

I think you can see Emily in the crate, she's a medium sized bun and weigh's 2.6kg, just so you can get an idea. So it's a case of sizing the crate to your bun, if that makes sense??:?
various120.jpg

Ooh thats lovely.....and has lots of room as well. Wonder if i shouldnt have ordered the 36" one now? although when i got the tape measure out and 'drew' a box at work :lol: it did look big enough..? I'd say she was about 20cm length.....what do you think? :D

If I made a shelf like this in my 36" crate, thus increasing floor space, would that make it suitable for keeping two medium lops in during the night? Or is it still too small? And if so, how do you do it?... in very simple instructions of monosyllabic words please, I'm not very good at that sort of thing!!:oops:

Oooh yes please :D

Best I could find today, I'm afraid. Will try to get a more recent one though as in this one he was only about 9 months old and only 30-odd kilos. I should remember precisely but it was about three years ago :oops: FYI, when necessary (i.e. scaredy-cat builders/workmen are in) both Satchmo (rottweiler, 54kg) and Sophie (bulldog, 21kg) lie happily in this crate:D

crate.jpg

Sorry Nicola - i didnt mean you'd said it would be cruel, just wondered if it would be :D

We have one of those pens that we could attach to the front of the cage so she could have a hop about a bit and stretch her legs :D

Thanks Deelove for the photos, i'm sure she will be fine in hers after seeing your bun in his - is he an adult?

Thanks everyone x

He's about 8 months old in the top pic and they're both adults, 2 and 1 years old in the second pic.

If I made a shelf like this in my 36" crate, thus increasing floor space, would that make it suitable for keeping two medium lops in during the night? Or is it still too small? And if so, how do you do it?... in very simple instructions of monosyllabic words please, I'm not very good at that sort of thing!!:oops:

How big is medium, all my rabbits are mini's so I'm not sure what size medium is classed as. Hm. I reckon you'll know your rabbits best, such as how much space they'd be comfortable with, how much space they need from each other and how active they are at night.

For a super dooper easy shelf go to a builders yard or somewhere else, ask then to cut it to size for you and make a hole and then just slot two beams through the bars and pop the shelf on top of that.

Or for better instructions there is a sticky in the care reference section. :)

How big is medium, all my rabbits are mini's so I'm not sure what size medium is classed as. Hm. I reckon you'll know your rabbits best, such as how much space they'd be comfortable with, how much space they need from each other and how active they are at night.

Jil says: Henry is a mini lop and Candy is on the smallish size of medium, if that helps!

I've not got them yet, so I don't know them well enough to make a judgement!

If you find it's not enough space, or that they aren't getting as much free time as they need you can always add a pen at a later date. :) I have brought a 48in-er for when I move, incase they can't get as much time out of it but they aren't in it yet.

bb1-1.gif

Found a very blurry picture of simple shelves.

Molly is a mini lop. He's pretty lazy though and tends to spend most of his time up on the shelf snoozing and refusing to come down.

If you find it's not enough space, or that they aren't getting as much free time as they need you can always add a pen at a later date. :)
Molly is a mini lop. He's pretty lazy though and tends to spend most of his time up on the shelf snoozing and refusing to come down.

They've got a pen, 4ftx4ft and 2ft tall, i'm just concerned that i might have to lock them up at night if it turns out they can jump out of the pen! :rolleyes:

Back