• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Introducing.....Saxon (Frenchie) (sorry lots of pics)

Tank's_Mum

Warren Scout
Some of you may have read about our new addition - a 4 month old French lop we've renamed as Saxon. We've been having a few issues with him since he arrived yesterday, but have made a fair bit of progress tonight :D Fingers crossed it continues. I suspect he's also going to be quiet a big chap too :love: and there doesn't seem to be a nasty or nippy bone in his body! No idea how much he weighs yet, but his back feet are 5" long and 2.5" wide! Please excuse the state of the house - it's turned into a bomb site with two dogs and two house bunnies :lol:

Here he is in all his glory!

In his 'observation' hutch in the lounge
Picture085.jpg

Picture078.jpg

Picture081.jpg

Exploring!
Picture104-cropped.jpg
Picture065-resized.jpg

Picture103.jpg

Picture060.jpg

With my OH
Picture063.jpg

I'm sure I posted last night as remember typing ........ hmm, seems to not be here this morning. He is gorgeous little man:love: :love: Just look at those ears and those big footsies:D Frenchies are real characters too, very laid back and also very inquisitive, they have to be involved with all thats going on around them.
Taz

Luciuslop, he's certainly inquisitive of everything...except us. I've posted a huge, long post about it in rabbit care, but he's a real enigma to me. Never expected a bunny to be so very chilled out about some things and so freaked out by others....I expected one thing or the other, I guess. :? I do love him to bits though :love:

He really does seem to be large for his age. Anyone know of any weight or size guidelines for juvenile Frenchies?

At 4-6 months of age Frenchies generally weigh around 8-10lbs and by the time they are fully grown at 12-14 months they can weigh 14-16 lbs. They are mature buns by the age of 18 months. At 6 months you will notice he will look very gangly and out of proportion, his head and back legs do not match the rest of him, but this is normal for Frenchies.

His behaviour doesn't really sound all that odd - its normal for buns to be wary of something they've never encountered before and also to gain confidence around people. Is he bonded with another bun yet ? Young lops can be quite skittish and silly sometimes. :lol:

No, he's not bonded yet. Neither of my buns have been neutered (Saxon's 4 months and Tank's 3 months), and I'm not actually expecting two males to bond successfully....it's really not a bother if they don't, and Tank's already 'bonded' with my bulldog :lol: But I managed to get my vets to break with 'practice policy' today and agree to neuter both of them as soon as their plums have dropped - Tank's currently running circles round my feet while I'm sat typing. Driving me nuts :lol:

I'm comparing Saxon's behaviour with Tank's and all the puppies I've had in the past (unfair, I know, apples and pears), but I can only assume he associates people with bad stuff. Tank's behaviour is what I'd expect, whereas Saxon's totally throws me. I'm becoming more and more convinced Saxon's been manhandled at some point before going into the rescue, possibly by a woman.

Thanks so much for all info - this is a totally new breed for me :D Are feet ever measured as a marker of growth?

Back